Premed 101 Forums

Career change- what are my chances/options

I am a pharmacist thinking of a career change. 

My undergrad GPA was 3.8ish. unfortunately pharmacy school was not great on GPA so cumulative pharmacy school GPA was around 3.55  which would hurt my chances i assume. 

I am from Ontario so that doesn't seem to do me any favors. 

That being said. I did a residency - work at a large academic center- has appointment with a well known university for faculty position/teaching/research.

Publications in New England Journal of Medicine and CMAJ - First author. I also have a MSc 

I am still relatively young in my late 20s. I feel like i ve gone as far as I could in pharmacy and there is nothing to grow (Money wise i am ok cant complain too much). 

Not sure if MD-PHD would increases my changes given my publications and research record. I dont mind going to states or UK. 

Any thoughts would be helpful!.

Thanks. 

Because Pharmacy school is considered an undergraduate degree, the grades will indeed be used in calculations for MD average. Your GPA is certainly going to be the biggest barrier for you, as I am certain you have more than enough life experience to have an illustrious ABS. I am not sure how your adjusted GPA will be calculated at each school with your two degrees, but it will most likely focus more on your grades in pharmacy school if that was taken in the latter. 

For Canadian schools, your best bet would be MD/PhD programs if you can not get your adjusted GPA to school cutoffs. UofT will certainly assess you as a graduate student as you have the first author status. 

My advice would be: Apply MD/PhD broadly, but for UofT you will easily qualify in graduate stream for MD status (unless you are itching for a PhD). Ontario is unfortunately a death sentence for IP status. If you have the financial means, Canada>US>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>UK. Canada has reciprocal agreements to recognize USMD degrees so you will apply back to residency as a Canadian Medical Graduate. UK schools, regardless of the prestige, will always have you as an international student. If you are a dual citizen that might be a good option if you would like the choice to practice in the UK as well. However, most European schools want your money, after graduation they want nothing more to do with you for residency, you are shoo'd away (unless dual citizen). 

On 4/4/2019 at 7:23 AM, Wanqus said:

I am a pharmacist thinking of a career change. 

My undergrad GPA was 3.8ish. unfortunately pharmacy school was not great on GPA so cumulative pharmacy school GPA was around 3.55  which would hurt my chances i assume. 

I am from Ontario so that doesn't seem to do me any favors. 

That being said. I did a residency - work at a large academic center- has appointment with a well known university for faculty position/teaching/research.

Publications in New England Journal of Medicine and CMAJ - First author. I also have a MSc 

I am still relatively young in my late 20s. I feel like i ve gone as far as I could in pharmacy and there is nothing to grow (Money wise i am ok cant complain too much). 

Not sure if MD-PHD would increases my changes given my publications and research record. I dont mind going to states or UK. 

Any thoughts would be helpful!.

Thanks. 

UBC will drop your worst year and include MSc grades, so if your MSc was strong that might get you close enough to a competitive GPA if you’re an in province applicant. The OOP cutoffs for a full file review are higher, but if you meet them, then it’s possible your non-academic and pharmacy experience could get you enough points to squeak you to an interview. Best place to start is by doing some calculations in a spreadsheet and seeing how your GPA works out for different school’s calculation criteria. 

Archived