Premed 101 Forums

Knowledge Recall in Clerkship

Hi guys,

With clerkship coming up around the corner (currently an M2), I've been growing increasingly worried about my ability to recall information learned in pre-clerkship.  Although I've been able to do well academically so far, I often struggle to remember things from year 1 (or even the previous course!)  At times I feel like I've forgotten more than I've learned! :P

Has anyone else had these feelings prior to starting clerkship?  If so, what was your experience transitioning to clerkship like? 

Thanks in advance!

It would be crazy to remember everything you've just been through, I'm about to have an independent licence and there's still basic science things that pre-clerks have down better than me. You've got a great foundation and you most likely don't even recognize some of the things you know, but the biggest thing to keep in mind is that everyone's felt that way at some point, and that's why the spiral curriculum exists.

Over time you'll be able to match that pre-clerkship knowledge to a patient, that patient to a management plan, that management plan to a morbidity and mortality round, and so on indefinitely. Every good clinician only got there by constantly adding upon their foundation again and again, and that's not only in clerkship but also in residency and practice. I absolutely felt the way you're feeling when I moved in to clerkship, and although it was rough getting used to the culture of medicine I was able to approach everything without any issues after a few months. The realization that got me there was that at the end of the day no one is going to expect a new clerk on the ward to remember everything, they're going to hope for you to do what each one of them had to do as well; take a history, make plan even if it's terrible, but then read around that case and use the experience to build upon your knowledge until the next plan needs no correction.

7 hours ago, Rorzo said:

It would be crazy to remember everything you've just been through, I'm about to have an independent licence and there's still basic science things that pre-clerks have down better than me. You've got a great foundation and you most likely don't even recognize some of the things you know, but the biggest thing to keep in mind is that everyone's felt that way at some point, and that's why the spiral curriculum exists.

Over time you'll be able to match that pre-clerkship knowledge to a patient, that patient to a management plan, that management plan to a morbidity and mortality round, and so on indefinitely. Every good clinician only got there by constantly adding upon their foundation again and again, and that's not only in clerkship but also in residency and practice. I absolutely felt the way you're feeling when I moved in to clerkship, and although it was rough getting used to the culture of medicine I was able to approach everything without any issues after a few months. The realization that got me there was that at the end of the day no one is going to expect a new clerk on the ward to remember everything, they're going to hope for you to do what each one of them had to do as well; take a history, make plan even if it's terrible, but then read around that case and use the experience to build upon your knowledge until the next plan needs no correction.

Pretty much this. Just know that thousands of people like you have felt the same way, walked down that road and made it home safe in the end.

Clinical experience and relating that pre-clinical knowledge to a real living and breathing patient is what solidifies the information in your mind. The reason for this is that your patient's life depends on it, and you have a duty to deliver the best care you can. It isn't just to get through some exam. 

The motivation to know your algorithms and keep up to date is much more relevant and fun because it allows you to do that.