Premed 101 Forums

Is the OMSAS gpa calculation supposed include NCR courses?

Our cGPA calculated by OMSAS is now out in the document tracking section, and I noticed that it was very different from what I had calculated. I was able to reproduce OMSAS's cGPA for me after including a NCR course as a weight of 0 GPA, but I was under the impression that CR/NCR/P/F courses aren't supposed to count towards GPA calculation. Can anyone confirm or deny this to be the case?

Since most schools do their own weighted GPA calculations it might not matter anyway, but it still just makes me a bit uncomfortable. Queen's for example compares your cGPA and 2-year most recent GPA, and I suspect they would simply take the cGPA from OMSAS.

19 minutes ago, CoffeeOtter said:

Our cGPA calculated by OMSAS is now out in the document tracking section, and I noticed that it was very different from what I had calculated. I was able to reproduce OMSAS's cGPA for me after including a NCR course as a weight of 0 GPA, but I was under the impression that CR/NCR/P/F courses aren't supposed to count towards GPA calculation. Can anyone confirm or deny this to be the case?

Since most schools do their own weighted GPA calculations it might not matter anyway, but it still just makes me a bit uncomfortable. Queen's for example compares your cGPA and 2-year most recent GPA, and I suspect they would simply take the cGPA from OMSAS.

I wouldn't worry... The schools always state explicitly that Pass/Fail Courses don't count towards GPA, because otherwise a NCR course will be equivalent to an F grade :lol: But if you want reassurance, I'd just send an email to the school to clarify. They're pretty transparent about this type of thing. I know since I once emailed McMaster and Wendy told me explicitly what the GPA they would use to assess me was.

56 minutes ago, DrOtter said:

I wouldn't worry... The schools always state explicitly that Pass/Fail Courses don't count towards GPA, because otherwise a NCR course will be equivalent to an F grade :lol: But if you want reassurance, I'd just send an email to the school to clarify. They're pretty transparent about this type of thing. I know since I once emailed McMaster and Wendy told me explicitly what the GPA they would use to assess me was.

Thanks fellow otter! I've sent off emails to ask for clarification. From reading the OMSAS GPA calculation page, it does indeed sound like they meant to convert NCR in this way ("Courses for which a “Pass” grade is assigned are not included in the GPA calculations. Courses for which a “Fail” grade is assigned are included as a failure."), but I'm hoping the schools themselves wouldn't go with that method.