Premed 101 Forums

Mcgill preinterview screening

Koldora

Hey guys!

Can someone who is familiar with the preinterview screening phase please clarify something for me?

Looking at the picture below, based on the "step 1 screening phase" this for example could potentially mean if someone where to do really well academically but poorly on casper they could get screened prior to even being placed on McGill's formula correct? so for example if someone does poorly on casper (say they are 400 on the list and McGill is taking top 300) but were amazing academically then I am assuming they wouldn't even look at your CV? If so, then what's the point of having the 70%, 20% and 10%? 

I am kind of confused because they have that screening prior to using the 70% GPA 20% casper 10% CV formula which I thought was the basis as to how they compared everyone preinterview? instead it's step 2 and not 1?

unknown.png

Thanks in advance!

22 hours ago, nutrimed said:

So they do not pursue with the application of candidates who wouldn't make the cutoff even with the best cv?

That is what I thought at first but then last year I was ranked like ~500/800 for academic and ~300/800 for CASPer and with my CV in the top 10 I still couldn't get an interview (my overall rank was like 350/800 and they interviewed the top 250) so it looks like they still evaluate your CV even if mathematically ranking 1st on the CV wouldn't allow you to get an interview :P 

I think step 1 applies to categories that are more competitive like international contingent. They say they would interview 200-300 files to invite 50. So to invite 250 in the university category that means they will review up to 1000-1500 files and there were only 819 applicants last year in the university contingent, so they checked all our CV :)