Premed 101 Forums

Medical Oncology Renumeration

Sardaukar

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know what the ballpark of Medical Oncologist salary is around Canada and how it varies from province to province? I know there's some data online from CMA ballparking it around 400K, but then you have articles and other sources saying 300K. Given it is salaried +% FFS for billings, can anyone shed some light on some more concrete numbers, what overhead there is (if any), and how practice differs in academic/regional/community setting?

Thanks

On 2/21/2020 at 8:36 PM, Sardaukar said:

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know what the ballpark of Medical Oncologist salary is around Canada and how it varies from province to province? I know there's some data online from CMA ballparking it around 400K, but then you have articles and other sources saying 300K. Given it is salaried +% FFS for billings, can anyone shed some light on some more concrete numbers, what overhead there is (if any), and how practice differs in academic/regional/community setting?

Thanks

The 400k figure from the CMA is for all IM specialties is not entirely representative of Oncology earnings. 

You can check out the provincial job boards, many oncologists are salaried so that information is directly available. For example, there is a position in Regina currently open on Saskdocs paying 422k, so I would guess it’s probably close to what most oncologists make in the province. 

In Quebec, where oncology is included with hematology despite them being two separate fields here, the average was 483k in 2018. Most seem to be FFS or rémunération mixte.

In Ontario, the OMA said it was 300k in 2012. That seems quite low to me, but I don’t know if it’s changed since.