Premed 101 Forums

Starting Uni in January instead of September

Am sorry if this sounds a bit stupid I've been looking for information about it but have not been able to find anything. If anyone started uni in January instead of September and want to apply to med school or already did. Did you any of the schools give you wGPA and when did you apply. If I take part time courses in the summer but full time during the rest of the year how does that work. Any further information is appreciated.

Part time during the summer and full time during the year is ok. The summer course load generally does not matter. However, you'd want to also keep a full course load (5 courses per semester) to keep your options open for most schools' wGPA formulas. Starting university in January is generally not penalized as far as I know. Queen's and Western and Ottawa count 2, 2, and 3 years with full course load towards your wGPA respectively, so your first half a year (the first semester where you started from January) does not even count in those formulas. UofT gives wGPA formula to those who've completed ALL of their studies with a full course load, but on their website it talks about full course load "years" rather than semesters, so you might want to double check your wGPA eligibility with them. Regarding schools outside Ontario, I know McGill considers your degree GPA, regardless of when you started or how many semesters, as long as you've taken at least 4 courses per semester. 

Others can speak for other provincial schools. Also, in most cases you can have your cumulative GPA counted for admissions purposes if you don't qualify for the school's wGPA. I would make a list of schools and double check this for each one, even though I believe you should be eligible for most school's wGPA depending on your future years of undergrad studies.

2 hours ago, Moonlight2 said:

Part time during the summer and full time during the year is ok. The summer course load generally does not matter. However, you'd want to also keep a full course load (5 courses per semester) to keep your options open for most schools' wGPA formulas. Starting university in January is generally not penalized as far as I know. Queen's and Western and Ottawa count 2, 2, and 3 years with full course load towards your wGPA respectively, so your first half a year (the first semester where you started from January) does not even count in those formulas. UofT gives wGPA formula to those who've completed ALL of their studies with a full course load, but on their website it talks about full course load "years" rather than semesters, so you might want to double check your wGPA eligibility with them. Regarding schools outside Ontario, I know McGill considers your degree GPA, regardless of when you started or how many semesters, as long as you've taken at least 4 courses per semester. 

Others can speak for other provincial schools. Also, in most cases you can have your cumulative GPA counted for admissions purposes if you don't qualify for the school's wGPA. I would make a list of schools and double check this for each one, even though I believe you should be eligible for most school's wGPA depending on your future years of undergrad studies.

Thank you soo much! I really appreciate your help and I will email UofT to find out more.

Take care and stay safe:)