Premed 101 Forums

Courses at TRU to boost GPA

I need to take the two english credits and another GPA boosting course, does anyone have suggestions at TRU online? To bring my GPA a few points does the course need to be a 3rd or 4th year course? Or do 1st and 2nd year courses work too? I already have a degree from the UK but if I drop my worst year I will only have 80 credits so need to make up 10. Any insight  or suggestions would be appreciated thank you!

As long as the courses you're taking aren't part of the year being dropped, I don't think it should matter what year level they're from for them to be included in your GPA. As per this page under "Grade Average Calculations", they take all grades from completed courses at accredited post-secondary institutions. 

While your GPA is calculated by a computer pre-interview, the admissions committee (post interview) supposedly does look over it and will notice a trend of GPA boosters. Let's say your GPA (of 80 credits) is an average of 80%. You take 12 credits (4 courses) at TRU and receive a 95% average across all of them: that would boost your GPA up to slightly under 82%, which is a decent bump. Chances are, the 'dropping your lowest year' is going to help more if you do have failed courses in one year. It's definitely worth applying this year to UBC so you can get a rough estimate of where your NAQ lies, because it will really have to carry your application if your GPA (or MCAT) is on the lower side.

56 minutes ago, HongHongHong said:

As long as the courses you're taking aren't part of the year being dropped, I don't think it should matter what year level they're from for them to be included in your GPA. As per this page under "Grade Average Calculations", they take all grades from completed courses at accredited post-secondary institutions. 

While your GPA is calculated by a computer pre-interview, the admissions committee (post interview) supposedly does look over it and will notice a trend of GPA boosters. Let's say your GPA (of 80 credits) is an average of 80%. You take 12 credits (4 courses) at TRU and receive a 95% average across all of them: that would boost your GPA up to slightly under 82%, which is a decent bump. Chances are, the 'dropping your lowest year' is going to help more if you do have failed courses in one year. It's definitely worth applying this year to UBC so you can get a rough estimate of where your NAQ lies, because it will really have to carry your application if your GPA (or MCAT) is on the lower side.

My post secondary is all over the place. I did well my first 3 semesters, then changed universities for the 4th semester and failed two courses. Then returned to Ireland and finished my degree there. I have what equates to 32 credits there to finish my degree. My last year was terrible probably because I was working full time as well and a few other things. So I was hoping to drop my last year which leaves me slightly under 90 credits but includes the two semester 4 fails. I tried to convert my GPA to see where I'm sitting at and it's about 80%.

I then did a college diploma in a healthcare field and have 95 averages but I don't think that it counts towards gpa calculation. 

Haven't written my mcat yet I was going to write it next year. This year is a bit of a wash out with having our second baby and older kiddo home fulltime due to covid. I have really diverse and longterm ECs due to my current career.  Maybe the gpa will be a battle I can't win against :( I can't quit my job and do a second undergrad part time because my job significantly contributes to the household income with two small dependents! Tough decisions.