Premed 101 Forums

Shadowing dentists during COVID

I had appointments to shadow a dentist mid-march but then covid happened. They told me to check back again in a few months, so I called back a week ago but they declined my request (understandably). Now they say to touch base with them in the fall. 

I understand that this is a very sensitive time, and that dentists want to limit the amount of people in their facilities to reduce the spread of covid. However, now I am unable to gain shadowing experience (for the time being) and have no shadowing hours. I can't help but feel left behind by my peers and that this would negatively affect my application to dental school.

I know McGill made the statement that "A minimum number of shadowing hours is not required." But still. 

Does anyone see the possibility to shadow anytime soon? Has anyone been able to shadow during this time? 

P.S. I just finished my B.Sc. (Chem) and am taking the DAT in November 2020. I was planning on applying for the 2021 cycle but now I think I might hold off for 2022.

• 2 weeks later...

You're gonna find it tough for a clinic for you to come in and shadow and understand that most clinics right now just want to get back to 

pre-covid revenues. Someone who comes in and doesn't do anything except maybe gets in the way of things definitely are not going to be 

as welcomed post-covid due to an increase demand between PPE and fallow time. Unfortunately for now just hold off the shadowing experience. 

I don't think it's a make or break deal when it comes to your application. If asked just say it's covid and you weren't able to shadow, the admission panel will understand