Premed 101 Forums

Post interview math

pcr

So 152 interviews for 76 spots. Of those how many will get in?

Here's my rationale:

~25 ppl who performed horribly in interviews and wont get further consideration, assume at least this many aren't even waitlisted

~15 ppl who get in might prefer to go elsewhere (prefer a french school or raised outside of Quebec and prefer to stay where they are)

~1-2 spots from Medp's who flunk out

~1-2 deferrals (assuming the number of spots posted doesn't include last year's deferrals)

~1-2 International spots not filled (many of the successful ones would are applying all over the place)

~5 people who get in elsewhere while waitlisted and give up waiting for McGill

~0 new spots opened up by the provincial government at the last minute, which happened several years back

This logic, which I'm sure will be debated, would leave ~25-28 names left on the waitlist who don't get in.

Anybody else horribly preoccupied thinking about the results post interview to the point of extreme lack of productivity?

Im with you for the unproductiveness due to me thinking only about this..... I do think that your predictions are a bit optimistic though. I dont think that there will be any international positions available since there is a waitlist for them too. Are they actually going to grant deferrals? and for the 15 pople going elsewhere and the 5 giving up, that may be a bit much. they usually waitlist around 40 applicants and in the past couple years they havent reached half. (i was in the first half of the waiting list last year and wasnt taken and i know this fact from others in previous years). According to me if we are not in the top 86 to be interviewed that the chances are slim (76 offers + maybe 10 off the waiting list). However this varies from year to year. For example in 2006 U de M only took 1 applicant off the waiting list while last year they had emptied their 30 some applicant list so.... we never know. However i cant imagine being waitlisted again this year, its bothering me so much now, imagine a whole summer of this :( .

Yeh, Mr. Dansereau said ~150 applicants and 71 places, but 1-2 spots could be ultimately added close to August 18th.

Applicants were interviewed in an alphabetical order (we asked this Q), although there were few exceptions. Hence, no speculations about first and last interviewed this year.

The wait list is not expected to move that much - too many strong IP applicants, as it was mentioned. Will see.

I pretty much agree with your calculations since other schools also had some spots added and the total # of applications increased only slightly. More places were reported by other provinces as well (Alberta and be others).

So, as to the chance, this at least stays the same if not better than the year before.

cheers guys!

Every year there is at least 1-2 med p's who either don't make the 3.5 cut off or decide that medicine isn't for them. Usually around 1 but can be 2 med-p's. it isn't so rare although usually there are other reasons why they don't make it (family issues affected their gpa, deciding thta they want a difference profession). also, you need to consider that everyyear, there are small number of people who fail a year or decide to defer, etc.. In my year, in first year we had one person who failed (he was in the class ahead of us) and joined us in first year, then in second year, two more people joined our class (not sure if they took time off or if they failed med 2). So what I'm getting at is that even though there are a few med-p's who don't join the med-1 class, it is balanced by those who join our class from upper years. If Michel Dansereau said 71, then it's 71.not to be discouraging, but very few applicants (IP applicants) decline their spots at mcgill so the waitlist doesn't move much. most of my friends who didnt get in though (they were waitlisted) got in the following year.

Not sure!

Two years ago, when I had my interview for Med-P, Mr Dansereau said it's was really rare that people didn't make it thru Med-p

Archived