Premed 101 Forums

Any schools podcast lectures?

Hi there,

Just curious: Which med schools in Canada make either audio podcasts and/or video podcasts of lectures? For example, at the U of A, they are starting to stream the audio and powerpoint of lectures, so that students who miss the class or who want to go back and check something from a past lecture can do so. I know they do this at the U of C as well.

Any other schools?

Hi there,

Just curious: Which med schools in Canada make either audio podcasts and/or video podcasts of lectures? For example, at the U of A, they are starting to stream the audio and powerpoint of lectures, so that students who miss the class or who want to go back and check something from a past lecture can do so. I know they do this at the U of C as well.

Any other schools?

Queen's does. One of the students in our classes records the lectures, and then posts the podcasts on our course website.

Elaine

All lectures are podcast at UofT. It appears to be pretty much automated and the prof just lectures away and it is always recorded. I think the ppt slides are also recorded simultaneously with the lecture. So any little diagrams or scribbles which the prof does is preserved. I haven't used the podcast thing yet... But it has only been two weeks. However, talking to the class ahead of us they seem to enjoy it quite a bit. :)

All lectures are podcast at UofT. It appears to be pretty much automated and the prof just lectures away and it is always recorded. I think the ppt slides are also recorded simultaneously with the lecture. So any little diagrams or scribbles which the prof does is preserved. I haven't used the podcast thing yet... But it has only been two weeks. However, talking to the class ahead of us they seem to enjoy it quite a bit. :)

Same for McGill.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...
Can students at other med schools access these online lectures?

For U of A, you have to have a current med ID/log-in to access them. They are pretty particular about us not sharing their lectures with people outside of med, and I understand where they are coming from. On rare occasions, profs will not even allow their lectures to be podcasted - I can recall one guy who did some groundbreaking research not podcasting his lecture, then like a month later he was in the paper with that stuff. They are just protecting their intellectual property.

So what if this student does not come to the class for some reason? what happens then?

Those who podcast believe it is their responsibility to be in class. As such, them not showing up on a day when they are to record a lecture isn't an issue.

Elaine

• 2 weeks later...
Those who podcast believe it is their responsibility to be in class. As such, them not showing up on a day when they are to record a lecture isn't an issue.

Elaine

Same at western - the system is intended to allow you to make up a lecture you missed, as well as let you review ones

It is getting to the point where in Ontario you have to start asking which schools don't have a podcast system rather than which ones do :)

UBC does not have podcasts/webcasts of any shape or form, and never will.

The reason behind this is because the prof's/faculty have decided that their lectures are so damn good (and copyrightable) that they are unwilling to let UBC host/post them anywhere.

I wish they had had some sort of video that I could watch at home...that way I could fast forward through that inane dribble.

The reason behind this is because the prof's/faculty have decided that their lectures are so damn good (and copyrightable) that they are unwilling to let UBC host/post them anywhere.

I wish they had had some sort of video that I could watch at home...that way I could fast forward through that inane dribble.

That's rough man.

I love the recorded lectures. I am probably only present for 50% of the live lectures. Having stuff recorded allows one have a flexible schedule during pre-clerkship. This way you can arrange extracurricular observerships, research, conferences etc. It really enhances what is possible during your pre-clerk education.

You guys should push for a faculty run protected system where your class can listen to recorded lectures. Otherwise you guys may soon be living in the dark-ages of pre-clerkship lecture delivery. ;)

That's rough man.

I love the recorded lectures. I am probably only present for 50% of the live lectures. Having stuff recorded allows one have a flexible schedule during pre-clerkship. This way you can arrange extracurricular observerships, research, conferences etc. It really enhances what is possible during your pre-clerk education.

You guys should push for a faculty run protected system where your class can listen to recorded lectures. Otherwise you guys may soon be living in the dark-ages of pre-clerkship lecture delivery. ;)

We have an entirely student run podcast system - I happen to be the web master. We just ask each instructor individual if they wouldn't mind letting us record the lecture and I process and move the lectures the secure server that I created. This lets us by-pass a lot the normal limitations.

Also you can watch podcasts faster than normal - second time around going at 1.3 speed or so it quite possible - that saves a lot of time overall :)

I always find it odd that a prof, who is paid to prepare/deliver lectures, believes they own the results of that effort. Any other part of the world if your boss pays you to create a lecture/presentation then the company then owns the product of the labour they are paying for.

We have an entirely student run podcast system - I happen to be the web master. We just ask each instructor individual if they wouldn't mind letting us record the lecture and I process and move the lectures the secure server that I created. This lets us by-pass a lot the normal limitations.

Also you can watch podcasts faster than normal - second time around going at 1.3 speed or so it quite possible - that saves a lot of time overall :)

Out of interest, it appears that you pretty much have your hand in every electronic media aspect of Schulich. Are you dealing with all of the courses, or just the 1st year courses for the 2013 class?

Out of interest, it appears that you pretty much have your hand in every electronic media aspect of Schulich. Are you dealing with all of the courses, or just the 1st year courses for the 2013 class?

well so far I am doing all the podcasts for the 2013 and 2012 class, so that is all of preclerkship. i am also doing clinical skills videos for all years this summer (or as least directing the project). I will be doing the 2014 next year for those incoming students :)

I guess I do get around a bit techwise but I am the class IT rep so that isn't too suprising. I am also rewriting the schulich admissions website, and a research programmer for the robarts research institute for three separate groups.

Always fun!

Thought, I'd chime in my perspective. I'm a first year student at Wayne State in Detroit. The school records all lectures for us, there are 2 lecture halls (one for 1st years and the other for 2nd years). Wayne has hired full-time staff to record lectures for us, each of the two lecture halls is equipped with 4-5 cameras (at differing angles and locations throughout the lecture hall) and the staff sit in a booth at the back of the lecture and record the lecture (audio/video) including adjusting cameras if the professors are using props/white board to illustrate something.

I find going to class a huge waste of time and stream the lecture at 2x as do a lot of my classmates.

Archived