Premed 101 Forums

Men VS Women

w8kg6

Women and men will never be equals. They must only be equals of rights, and it's already the case since a good time.

Feminism is outdated and their new message lacks of reason. We're genetically differents. That's why we boys and girls are differents, and why I hope we will never be "equals" or girls to be "just as boys". Just thinking about is weird. You want to date a girl out, and you have all these kind of conversations you would normally like to have with a boy. Happily, most of girls don't agree with feminists (at least, the ones who know what it means).

-----------

OP, concerning your two points, it's socially that way. Men don't hit women (even if in a feminism way of thinking, we should be able to if we're the sames. Wait, they also share non-violence ideas; but a violent feminist could). We're stronger, and it would be unfair to fight with women. It's true that your situation is unfair too, but it's a better step to non-violence than slapping back every time.

Mothers are uniques in some way too, and that's why men will strive a hard time if they want to be a "mother". They can be excellent fathers though. Women have some natural qualities that men usually don't have. They're comforting, and usually less-temperate than men.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Future_doc, can you please enlighten me, in English, what you are trying to convey with your "perception is reality" motif?

Perception is reality.

Our preconceptions, our attitudes have a great influence on us in both subtle and obvious ways. Whether we realize it or not, they act as our lens or filters through which we see life.

In my view, for what it is worth, we need to be on guard and aware of this, so that our view of facts in front of our very noses is entirely 'objective' and not 'subjective'. We should not jump to conclusions or misinterpret what we see without even realizing this is what we are doing.

Let's take the simple game of 20 children sitting in a row. One of them whispers something in the ear of the next and each whispers to the next until we get to the last child who will recite something entirely different than the first whisperer heard. This is b/c each child 'hears' something perhaps unsaid (that they believe is said) and whispers what they perceived they heard to the next child.

And so, the perception of each child is the reality of each child.

I knew a truly remarkable and wonderful woman on dialysis for years, in a wheelchair for years, junior diabetic, failed organ transplant and EMS was constantly saving her life. She was always in and out of hospital. She lived alone. If anybody had a reason to be bitter with life, it was her.

However, she loved life to the full, she was so happy, optimistic and full of life that children and adults flocked to her. For kids, she was the Pied Piper. Adults adored to be in her company! For this lady, the glass was not empty or half empty, it was not half full, rather it was overflowing.

Her perception was her reality! She lived a full and complete life in every sense. Others in her circumstances may have had every right to feel depressed, lonesome and unhappy. Well, such a perception would have been, would have become, the reality of these others.

Our attitudes affect who we are, who we become and influence our journey through life. To the extent that we are able to filter out our attitudes, preconceptions, prejudices and just deal with the actual objective facts, we are, I believe, better people. As an example, someone may see a person of a different race, religion, different socio-economic class (e.g., a homeless person) in some sort of distress. Let us say, this person is lying on the sidewalk as you pass by. One passerby may think, "drunk", another, "This is what I expect from a blank blank", and another will think, "How can I help? What is the problem?" and call 911 and try to evaluate the problem, e.g., is the person having trouble breathing, suffering from a heart attack, epiletic seizure, drunk, etc., having an open mind while taking compassionate action to help another fellow human being.

Each of us will react differently to the very same situation, to the very same set of facts. This is b/c for each of us our preception is our reality.

From avenir001's post, avenir001 is making assumptions (perceptions) on my gender - which aint necessarily so. However, avenir001’s “perception” is her “reality” and that is all that matters to avenir001.

There may be 2 individuals serving life in jail. One tries to better himself, obtain an education, help other inmates. The other feels he has nothing to lose, is a constant trouble maker and gets into violent confrontations with guards and fellow inmates. Each deals with identical facts in entirely different ways that are governed by their own perceptions of reality!

When we go for a MMI, our fate is entirely dependent upon the perception of the markers or interviewees and their perception (of us and our responses) becomes our reality in real time. However, hopefully, these persons are acting entirely objectively by established criteria for which they receive training or guidelines and hopefully, all subjective criteria that might otherwise affect them have been removed as a result of conscience decision. Otherwise, our appearance, colour, seeming religious affiliation might have a profound effect upon the outcome and our futures.

It is difficult not to be judgmental. But it is essential for us as future physicians not to be judgmental. In a war zone, we will need to heal and save the enemy, who once saved might well escape, and then kill our soldiers or civilians. This cannot be our consideration when dealing with patients. We need to give the same treatment and skill to an innocent child victim as a mass killer.

NewfieMike, I would be happy to clarify or elaborate further.

Lol start a thread about women, men and the feminist movement and we get talks about the 10 character rule. I love us.

Lol seriously though, my prof (female, kines) was telling me that pretty much the only campus whose woman studies' department doesn't just attack men universally is Xavier over in NS.

There are several times where I have had profs that have defended males, and talked about how society abuses them nowadays. Humourously enough they were both females, one teaching an addictions counselling course, and the other a kines prof teaching a course on sexism/racism in sports and society.

Shim you brought up some good points. I never want women to be like men...mostly because I don't want to have relations with a man, but also because I tend to be rather competitive with members of my gender. Equality of rights is what should be strived for. I have said it in other threads, but the most awesome moment of my undergraduate life so far was in my sociology class where the old feminists (40s) and the young feminists (20s-early30s) just about came to blows. the old feminists said they had fought for equality and then began bashing these new feminists for trying to gain an advantage over men and started ragging the young feminists. Man was that ever awesome, I thought we were actually going to have to physically start restraining them.

understand that reason why you are writing "10 characters." To what does that refer and why is it funny?

(10 characters)

[it is impossible to send a message w/o a min. of 10 characters in the body. But if the entire message is in the title, then you need to write '10 charcters to be able to send. So, with our collective wierd sense of hunour it became something of a joke]. I usually write all my short messages only in the Title and this is what started this insane disgression.

:) (10 characters):P

As long as there are people with significant differences, there will be differences in treatment in our culture. I think that is just human nature for people to identify with groups and for each group to have different acceptable behaviours and roles in society.

What we can do is demand equal opportunities for all groups. It is hard to change the fact that "normal" men can't wear dresses, and that men can't cry or show emotion, and that women are expected to be more sexually conservative than men (or else they are sluts). The only way to change these things is to have discussions with people, increase awareness, and raise our kids differently than our parents raised us.

Things that need to change now are the inequities in opportunities. It is not fair that in almost all professional fields men are paid more than women for the same amount of work. It isn't fair that women are automatically assumed to be the better primary caregiver for children in custody battles.

Great topic, btw!

Our generation will see to it that the inequities in opportunities disappear. It is happening already I believe, but not fast enough and there still seems to be a glass ceiling for women even in medicine.

Although there is an assumption that women are more nurtruing than women in the child care department, this is now a rebuttable presumtpion and it is no longer the case that a woman can assume that she will obtain primary custody of the children merely b/c she is a woman. The attitudes in the court have changed compared to past decades and these cases are now decided on a case by case basis on the merits without the old cookie cutter approach of one solution for all.

Our generation will see to it that the inequities in opportunities disappear. It is happening already I believe, but not fast enough and there still seems to be a glass ceiling for women even in medicine.

Although there is an assumption that women are more nurtruing than women in the child care department, this is now a rebuttable presumtpion and it is no longer the case that a woman can assume that she will obtain primary custody of the children merely b/c she is a woman. The attitudes in the court have changed compared to past decades and these cases are now decided on a case by case basis on the merits without the old cookie cutter approach of one solution for all.

It is nice to hear that things are changing, especially in the court system. It will be the social stigmas that will be the last to change, unfortunately. I knew a man who was walking his young daughter home from the park and had the police called on him (I assume because the people at the park thought he was kidnapping her). There are people who believe men can't be trusted with small children.

It is nice to hear that things are changing, especially in the court system. It will be the social stigmas that will be the last to change, unfortunately. I knew a man who was walking his young daughter home from the park and had the police called on him (I assume because the people at the park thought he was kidnapping her). There are people who believe men can't be trusted with small children.

I guess better safe than sorry, and the man should not take it personally, rather be happy that society is looking out for the children.

It is a shame that some people feel men cannot be trusted with small children, and this is not true. However, molestation of small children is mainly by men, whereas infanticide is mainly by women, often by the mothers who are looked upon as the primary nuturers.

As physicians, we will be on the front lines, to the extent that our practices involve children, to see signs of abuse and protect children. Mind you, one infamous Coroner (or was it a pathologist advising the coronor and as expert witness in Court) who made unfoiunded accusations and judgments of murder and/or abuse sending many innocent mothers and family members to prison for no validated reason.

I guess better safe than sorry, and the man should not take it personally, rather be happy that society is looking out for the children.

I think I agree with that. For example, men should not be offended that I cross the street away from them when I'm walking alone at night. I don't mean anything personally by it, it is just an unfortunate fact that as a woman I am more at risk and should take steps to protect myself.

I think in many cases "better safe than sorry". My heart does go out men who feel that they are always being looked at as potential rapists and child molesters.

Archived