Premed 101 Forums

CARMS 2010 match results up

There are some notable surprises this year:

Gen surg was quite competitive this year whereas ENT was not, with 3 CDN spots left unfilled after 1st iteration.

Urology was also unusually competitive this year, while anesthesiology was less popular than past years.

Do you think that last year's results and competitiveness influenced this year's applicants?

I believe gen surg and urology were less competitive than usual last year -- maybe this encouraged more students to consider these specialties this year?

Many programs also increase their recruitment efforts if applications are low or if they are unhappy about their match results. The number of applicants to gen surg last year was low, I think....even before interview invites were given, I heard rumblings that applications were down and that a number of unmatched spots were expected. I also got asked last year by a urologist about how his program could improve its promotion and presence in medical school (don't know if this was in general, or whether this was related to what was going on with the carms applications).

It is a bit weird, but it fluctuates year to year. You kinda get a sense of how many people are interested in a specialty when you're on the tour, and not surprisingly gen surg is pretty popular.

Gen surg has done an amazing job marketing itself -- enthusiastic preceptors who love their jobs (at least at Mac), the "one day that matters" campaign, excellent residents that teach, and so forth.

Good model for some of the other specialties that are struggling to recruit.

• 3 weeks later...

Urology has been trying to raise it's profile for quite a few years now. I don't think it's driven by trying to get more candidates (they always get more than enough high quality candidates to fill their spots), but by a desire to increase the amount of urology in medical school curriculums. At some schools I know there is little urology taught compared to some other specialties, even though urology makes up 7% of all family med. visits. As a result, family physicians are feeling under prepared for urology problems and referring things that probably could be handled at the FP level.

Increasing the presence of the specialty and raising the amount of pre-clerkship and elective education in it can help rectify this problem. That's the story I've gotten from some urologists I've talked to anyway.

I don't think any of the surprises this year can be classified as trends based on one data point. You probably need at least 3 years of consistent results to claim a trend.

Archived