Premed 101 Forums

English at Athabasca

Hey,

Does anyone know anybody who took the English credit required for MD app at Athabasca through long distance education? I am OP and don't have a ENG credit yet, need to work in the summer, write MCAT and apply, and going abroad in Sept, so I am thinking of taking a ENG course in Sept with Athabasca. Don't know if this will affect my chances tho...

If anyone can give any suggestions that will be awesome!

Thanks.

Hey,

Does anyone know anybody who took the English credit required for MD app at Athabasca through long distance education? I am OP and don't have a ENG credit yet, need to work in the summer, write MCAT and apply, and going abroad in Sept, so I am thinking of taking a ENG course in Sept with Athabasca. Don't know if this will affect my chances tho...

If anyone can give any suggestions that will be awesome!

Thanks.

are you asking if taking the english course will affect your chances to get into UBC medicine?

or if the amount of things you have going on will affect your chances?

if it's the first question then the answer is no... as long as UBC considers it equivalent to their first year english requirement (i think it's 6 credits usually you take one of eng 110,111 and then 112) then you're fine to apply. taking a course through athabasca won't decrease your chances unless you do poorly...

good luck.

I did an english course through distance, and it's tough to get a good mark. I did ENGL 112 through UBC though, Ath might be easier.

Kyla, what did you think of engl 112? That's the university writing course... at least that's what it was when i took it back in '04.

My biggest problem with first year english at UBC is that when I registered we weren't told that you should take engl 112 first, then take the drama or fiction or prose courses. Plus, my TA was a horrendous marker and still believed in the "nobody in English deserves better than an 80%" theory of marking. She was a douche.

Just thinking about her makes my blood boil. My engl 112 prof on the other hand was amazing.

I did an english course through distance, and it's tough to get a good mark. I did ENGL 112 through UBC though, Ath might be easier.

So you did English through UBC distance Ed.? I am also considering doing English through Ath, and naturally would like to get a good mark.

My experience with Ath so far is that they are very fair with their marking, and the whole supplemental exam thing really removes a lot of anxiety in re: exams. That said, English is notorious for being a crapshoot.

Regarding both what hking was asking and the OP's question, Engl through distance ed in general is hard. Not dealing with the prof in person means it's tough to get a full grasp of what they're looking for, what they want, who they are. The prof I had also seemed to believe in the "no-one gets over 80%" mantra too, but she wasn't bad or anything. It was just frustrating.

Add to this the fact that I was only taking it due to the 10-yr-rule... yeah. :mad:

I did six credits of English through distance ed because I used the 10 year rule for this cycle. I did university writing through BCIT and my literature course through TRU and scored As in both and I did it while I was working full time with two small children, volunteering at the schools etc.

It's definitely doable. Just make sure the courses you pick count for transfer credits to UBC.

That being said, I did horribly in those courses the first time I took them during undergrad. I think the difference is that before I was so concerned with what they were telling me to write that I tried too hard to give them what they wanted. This time I kind of ignored a lot of the instructions (except for content) and used more of my own voice in my writing. Funny how it worked out :)

• 2 weeks later...

I did Eng 211 and 255. You can search about english and you will find what I wrote about the course. 255 is seriously bird. If you can write an essay, its BIRD! Only problem is that there are 7 assignments.255, the essays adn the assignmenst are really easy. Exam is easy too, but you have to study.

I got the same mark on my essays that I was getting in undergrad. The only difference is that the people makring your essays are PhDs so its harder to BS than an undergrad TA. Overall, both courses are easy. 211 requires you to study for the exam. For 255, you don't have to do much...just write. However, in order to do well, you need to know how to write essays really well.

• 2 weeks later...
I did Eng 211 and 255. You can search about english and you will find what I wrote about the course. 255 is seriously bird. If you can write an essay, its BIRD! Only problem is that there are 7 assignments.255, the essays adn the assignmenst are really easy. Exam is easy too, but you have to study.

I got the same mark on my essays that I was getting in undergrad. The only difference is that the people makring your essays are PhDs so its harder to BS than an undergrad TA. Overall, both courses are easy. 211 requires you to study for the exam. For 255, you don't have to do much...just write. However, in order to do well, you need to know how to write essays really well.

A question tho, for the final exams of these courses, did you have to go to a specific location to write it or did you do everything just online? Also hows the pace for the courses? Did you do them over two semesters or can you choose to finish them up earlier?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived