Premed 101 Forums

Electives in the summer before starting 3rd year

I'm looking to setup an elective during the summer before clerkship starts to get some experience and to allow myself extra time off during 3rd year (we're allowed to carry over up to 4 weeks towards 3rd year).

I'm ideally looking to do this out of province so that I can incorporate some fun travel into it. Having said that:

1. Will other schools allow such visiting students? I've looked at the eligibility criteria, and most schools say that I must be a 3rd or 4th year medical student, but does that include those that aren't technically in 3rd year yet?

2. What exactly are my options as far as electives go? I'm presuming family med is ok but I'm unsure about others. UBC sort of makes it clearer by saying that

"The following Departments of the UBC MD UG Programme do not require the completion of a core rotation to be eligible for an Elective in that discipline/specialty "

but then it doesn't list family medicine in that list?

Are we allowed to do an elective in GIM without doing the core rotation in school first?

How about emergency medicine? UBC says it's ok, but I do remember reading on other catalogs that it's a 4th year thing and must have gone through all my core rotations.

So essentially, what's a good elective to do if I absolutely didn't want to do family med, psych or radiology? I would actually love to do some of the IM subspecialties but I'm pretty sure those are all off limits.

Sounds like you are also at U of A. Most of my classmates (and I!) did family medicine in the summer or some sort of abroad elective; even if that's not what you WANT to do, don't forget that you do need to diversify your electives. So if anything, you could use a few weeks on FM for diversification purposes and to learn basic things both in terms of medicine and just logistics (how to write a good note, how to talk to someone about a touchy topic, etc).

I originally applied for derm at Dal, but after waiting for 4 months (!!!), just cancelled it because I had to finally make some solid plans for the summer. I was told I couldn't do derm here at U of A in the summer because according to them, it's only in mid-August that your knowledge suddenly vastly enlarges and you become a full-fledged 3rd year. A classmate did neurosurgery and found it to be quite low-yield. Another classmate did neurology and another psychiatry, and both enjoyed it. All 3 of them did it at U of A. I am not familiar with anyone who did a non-FM elective at another school in the summer.

You can't do an elective in IM without doing IM core first. You don't want to, either.

UBC is very hard to get electives at, so I'm gonna speculate and say that as a brand-new 3rd year, you are probably gonna be put to the bottom of the application pile and not get far.

Well I'm actually interested in doing family med as an end option, so my diversification involves doing nonFM things :)

So I can't do a general internal med elective, without first doing the home IM core rotation? It's also kind of strange that I can't do ID or rheum without doing GIM but it's not up to me lol

Derm wouldn't be a bad option.

I had a friend go to UBC for a month between 2nd and 3rd year, it all depends on your timing of application and a bit of luck, not your stage of training.

That being said, my advice is to avoid your top program of choice when you go - why? Well, between 2nd and 3rd year you have a ton of preclinical knowledge but no practical knowledge of how to be a good clerk and how to impress while on rotation. Save your favourite programs for later when you'll have a stronger foundation and know how to get things done and be helpful to the team.

There are always loopholes around prereqs in IM and Peds and Surgery, you just have to do some digging. Ask students in the year above you about their experience. I think pre clerkship electives are a great idea but you have to smart about planning them. Rural family is a popular choice, lots of hands on experience with independence and tons of room to grow. Radiology was also popular.

Archived