Premed 101 Forums

Switching programs

I'm currently in a Biomedical Science program but I want to switch to straight up biology. Should I do it? I messed up my second year in biomed and need third year to be beastly. However, the Biomed program requires a bunch of lab courses where the bio program says you don't need any. Should I do it? This summer before Sep 2013 is the last time I have to make a decision......Advice?

The easiest path towards medicine will be what will get you the best GPA. If you think that you'll get better marks in the new program, do that. You're not doing yourself any favours by staying in a program that you don't enjoy/aren't doing well in just because of its title. I went through this exact same thing between my first and second years, and ended up switching to biological sciences from biomed. Don't regret it for a second. My grades stayed decently high, but more importantly I was given the freedom to take whatever biomed courses I wanted, while being allowed to ditch the less interesting sounding courses and take cooler ones instead.

Thanks undergrad. Anyone else wanna pitch in some advice, I appreciate it all (even the trolling is good, for a laugh). The most common thing people say is that biomed will be better if you end up giving up on medicine. Maybe I shouldn't like them. Maybe I should just make my decisions based purely on the assumption that one day things will work out..? What do you guys/girls think? Is this positive or impulsive?

Switching out to biology won't make much of a difference tbh. But if you really want to, it literally takes 1minute to switch programs on the YorkU website but it will take a month or two to find out if you switched programs or not. I'm assuming you want to get into medical school and therefore you should be capable of finding out how to switch programs just by exploring the university website and by using your common sense. I hope this helps, good luck.

I know how to switch programs lol. Just want to know if I should, to avoid all the lab courses.

You only need 7 credits of 3rd/4th year courses with a lab component. Look into course timetables and choose your bio courses... there is a pretty good chance that you might end up taking a lab course just because there aren't that many upper year bio courses without a lab component plus some of those non-lab courses are offered at terrible times!

Archived