Premed 101 Forums

Where Should I Go?

I am currently in B.Sc General at UofA. I am in first year and don't think that I would stand a chance of getting into med school at uofa. It is extremely competitive. Now, I am thinking about going to India to do medicine then get residency in Canada or US. I know that this is also really difficult but I know a couple of friends that have done it. After reading forums after forums, I think that KIMS is a good option because banglore is a big city and more similar to here in Canada than Punjab. Are there any better options in India?

If anyone went to KIMS, how much are the fees? I looked up Manipal and their fees were $200,000. That is A LOT. I would apply to DMC in Ludhiana but recently Punjab Gov't has a put in regulation that every NRI must also participate in the entrance test. Also, the deadline was Jan 31, 2014. Any help is appreciated.

Also, I was interested into Polish schools because people say that Polish schools have a better chance of residency than indian medical schools.

I am currently in B.Sc General at UofA. I am in first year and don't think that I would stand a chance of getting into med school at uofa. It is extremely competitive. Now, I am thinking about going to India to do medicine then get residency in Canada or US. I know that this is also really difficult but I know a couple of friends that have done it. After reading forums after forums, I think that KIMS is a good option because banglore is a big city and more similar to here in Canada than Punjab. Are there any better options in India?

If anyone went to KIMS, how much are the fees? I looked up Manipal and their fees were $200,000. That is A LOT. I would apply to DMC in Ludhiana but recently Punjab Gov't has a put in regulation that every NRI must also participate in the entrance test. Also, the deadline was Jan 31, 2014. Any help is appreciated.

Also, I was interested into Polish schools because people say that Polish schools have a better chance of residency than indian medical schools.

I heard its really tough in India because the students there are actually all very smart and they are very strict on rules. A lot of people don't make it. Indian students in India work much harder than those in Canada and if you aren't at the top of your game you will probably be swept aside quickly. I don't know very much else but I'm sure if you feel you can adapt its possible.

Poland is all right, it also weeds out a lot of students but those who make it match all right but not too well. I saw a recent stat saying 38% of US citizens who graduate form a Polish school end up going to the US for residency, quite low compared to Ireland which is around 70% for Canadians going to Canada/US.

I would recommend Ireland more, it depends on your high school grades. If they were good, your uni grades aren't horrid and you have some ECs, you can apply right now and get into a 5 year program.

Be sure you have no chance in Canada, because its actually very tough no matter what and if you think that studying medicine abroad is "easy" its not. The material is the same as in Canada (obviously), and the competition to come back to Canada and the US is stiff.

You actually want to be at the top of your class because you need to write the USMLE or MCCEE and NAC OSCE to come back. You will also need to organize different experiences in order to prepare yourself.

Also if you had dreams of heart surgery or something competitive forget it because if you go abroad it will be very difficult.

Don't think about going out of country yet. Work hard in undergrad, get the best grades you can. Try to get into a Canadian school first, and back up with a US school and a US DO school. If being a doctor truly is what you want to do, that's the best plan of action. After undergrad and applying to the above schools, if don't get it at that point only then should you consider Caribbean schools or Ireland/Poland.

It's very difficult to come back to Canada after going to an international school. Don't put that added stress on yourself without at least trying to get into a Canadian school first.

I say this as someone who goes to a Caribbean school. While I'm very grateful to have matched in Canada this year, I know many students who didn't. And I've met many graduates from foreign schools who have interviewed the past few years and continue to go unmatched.

• 2 months later...

I would recommend Ireland

Trinity is recognized worldwide

A larger proportion of international medical graduates come from Ireland

Ireland has a very similar system to Canadian medical schools

Irish medical schools have been around for a long time so they have a good reputation

Still in first year? I wouldn't even think of international. You should only consider international a few years down the road, once you've done the best you can in undergrad, and have given canadian schools a shot. If you don't think you can perform in undergrad, what makes you think you'll be able to excel in med school and match back to Canada?

If you do get to the point of going international, however, I agree with:

I would recommend Ireland

Trinity is recognized worldwide

A larger proportion of international medical graduates come from Ireland

Ireland has a very similar system to Canadian medical schools

Irish medical schools have been around for a long time so they have a good reputation

or Australia

If you are planning on going to India, Manipal might be the best option. Fees is a bit high but I know someone who got matched in US like they say. Other medical schools in India would put you at a disadvantage if you plan on returning. Matching in Canada would be very hard but not impossible.

Your best shot would be to work hard in the upcoming years and get a spot in Canada or US Med Schools. The path only gets harder.

Archived