Premed 101 Forums

Western Medical Sciences Vs. Mac Kinesiology

Hello!

Here's the thing, as a fellow pre-med I share the same ambitions as many of you, but am completely lost as to which degree I should pursue. In terms of the schools alone, both are appealing in terms of their campuses, environment, student life, etc. I'm just unsure of which to pick.

The main concern with me picking is my 'dilemma' with biology. I understand biology is 'the study of life' but I am far more interested when the study is applied directly to the human body. Medical Sciences offers interesting modules related to this in their third and fourth year, yet their first two years require a lot of 'general biology'. In comparison, Kinesiology offers you this from the get go.

However, a lot more people from Medical Sciences, just statistically get into med school.

I am willing to put in the work no matter where I go. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again.

EDIT: A concern I had with Kinesiology is that I have no interests in sports at all, I picked Mac because they focus primarily on the scientific approach to Kinesiology.

From what I can tell, the primary advantage of Western MedSci (and all other equivalent pre-med programs at other universities) is that the core courses teach you material that you'll use on the MCAT. Although kinesiology covers anatomy and physiology relatively well, the MCAT requires only a basic understanding of those subjects (which you can cover easily through self-studying). IMO biology, chemistry, physics, and organic chemistry are more difficult to self-study and are covered in greater depth on the MCAT. That said, choosing a program that you'll enjoy (or at least not hate) is pretty important too. 

I feel the same as you toward a biology degree and in fact had the same dilemma. I'm in kinesiology right now and I really don't regret my decision. The sports stuff does get kind of annoying for example we have a lot of "sport physiology" classes, learning about what happens to your body while you exercise, this is great but I would prefer doing simply "physiology" without the exercise. However, bottom line is I rather learn about that than about plants and seeds in a biology degree. Kines is super interesting! 

Hello!

Here's the thing, as a fellow pre-med I share the same ambitions as many of you, but am completely lost as to which degree I should pursue. In terms of the schools alone, both are appealing in terms of their campuses, environment, student life, etc. I'm just unsure of which to pick.

The main concern with me picking is my 'dilemma' with biology. I understand biology is 'the study of life' but I am far more interested when the study is applied directly to the human body. Medical Sciences offers interesting modules related to this in their third and fourth year, yet their first two years require a lot of 'general biology'. In comparison, Kinesiology offers you this from the get go.

However, a lot more people from Medical Sciences, just statistically get into med school.

I am willing to put in the work no matter where I go. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again.

EDIT: A concern I had with Kinesiology is that I have no interests in sports at all, I picked Mac because they focus primarily on the scientific approach to Kinesiology.

look at the Kines coureses at the school your considering-they are nearly all sports based

I''m not you, but I would never do a kine degree if you have 0 interest in sports because I doubt a day would go by without sports tying into your classes

also in medsci/lifesci programs you usually only take straight bio. Upper year courses are usually super human-specific and really interesting if you like human physio!

Western medsci 1st and 2nd year courses directly prepare you for the mcat... except maybe calculus which is useless... 3rd/4th year is medical school material from what I've heard (tons of content, mostly memorization based). From what I know from HS peers, regular mac courses are generally harder than western courses (excluding healthsci courses)

Archived