Premed 101 Forums

When Is Latest Time To Take The Mcat To Apply For All Medical Schools In Canada ?

solimany

I applied to most Canadian schools this cycle (except Dal and Mun and the French Quebec ones) and the earliest requirement was from UBC. This year they state, "The last accepted MCAT test date is August 31 of the application year." The AAMC usually releases your MCAT results about a month after you write it, so they should be available by October 1st (UBC deadline).

All Ontario schools require your MCAT scores by November 1st, so they are a month later. 

I can't remember what the western provinces deadlines were, but I think it was also around October 1st. As freewheeler said, you will need to check the admissions requirements of each school. I wrote my MCAT last year on August 21 and I was fine for all school's MCAT deadlines.

Good luck!

Keep in mind thought that it might be a little easier for you to write it a bit earlier than the last date. Because scores don't come out until about a month after you write, you might not even know if you *can* apply to certain schools. By the time you find out your scores you might not have much time to get references etc, unless you fill out your entire app, get references etc. without knowledge of whether or not they can be used for the schools you're applying for.

So, I think another important thing to consider is that you may want to write it early enough to give yourself a chance to RE-WRITE if you do in case not get the desired/required scores for the schools you are applying to. I'm not entirely sure in this scenario when you should write it - I think the only date that is possible to write & then to have a chance to re-write is July 22.

The score would come out Aug. 23 for the july 22 test date, and then if you did not get the desired scores you could schedule for the september 10th date which gives you at least a couple of weeks to prepare again.

What do others think?

Archived