Premed 101 Forums

What Are My Chances?

I spent a year and a half at one school and withdrew second semester, second year due to health problems. I then transferred to another school, where I took a full course load the first semester and three courses the second semester. I then transferred to another program at the same school, where I completed one semester and withdrew the second semester again due to health problems. I am now returning to school and taking one course the first semester back and a one course the second semester back, with accommodations due to the aforementioned health problems. I have four years left in the program. I will be taking a full course load for the three years following this year. Am I still eligible for schools like Queens, Westerm, UOttawa and Dalhousie? 

Thanks

I spent a year and a half at one school and withdrew second semester, second year due to health problems. I then transferred to another school, where I took a full course load the first semester and three courses the second semester. I then transferred to another program at the same school, where I completed one semester and withdrew the second semester again due to health problems. I am now returning to school and taking one course the first semester back and a one course the second semester back, with accommodations due to the aforementioned health problems. I have four years left in the program. I will be taking a full course load for the three years following this year. Am I still eligible for schools like Queens, Westerm, UOttawa and Dalhousie? 

Thanks

It would depend on if you did more full time years, I think. You really must check the policies for each school and see how/if you meet them. We can guess, but it seems like a complicated situation, and I would double-check with each school if I were you. 

But off the top of my head, Ottawa is out. Again, you should check their requirements.

Also, please don't double-post threads

• 2 weeks later...

I don't remember which schools I had checked with last year but I know multiple schools do not require that you've taken a full time course load for any number of years... but there is a requirement that you did complete X years worth of credits with the school (so if you went to 4 schools getting 1 year of credits at each for your degree, it would be a problem). I know this is not the requirement of all medical schools but some give flexibility for the path you took to get your degree. 

It would depend on if you did more full time years, I think. You really must check the policies for each school and see how/if you meet them. We can guess, but it seems like a complicated situation, and I would double-check with each school if I were you. 

But off the top of my head, Ottawa is out. Again, you should check their requirements.

Also, please don't double-post threads

Why is Ottawa out of OP's reach? They mentioned they will do 3 years with a full course load. Once finished, OP will be eligible.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Looking for some help understanding my chances at Canadian medical schools given my situation:

I am from Ottawa, Ontario.

GPA

1 year of advanced credits 
UG1 3.04 (4courses/semester considered full-time)

UG2 3.56(4courses/semester considered full-time)

UG3 3.85 (4courses/semester considered full-time)

UG4 3.78 (second semester was part-time as I needed fewer courses to graduate)

Course Based Masters GPA 3.85 (over 3 full-time semesters)

UG5 (second degree) 4.0 (5courses/semester)

MCAT

519 (130/130/129/130)

Extra-Curricular

Varsity-athlete, lots of volunteering, several full-time and part-time jobs, no research.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Archived