Premed 101 Forums

Dental Admissions And Dat Anxiety

Hello,

I am not sure when would be a good time to take the DAT. Here's my situation:

I just graduated from CEGEP, and I didn't take the DAT before as I didn't think I had a great chance at getting into dental school because of my R score (32.5, at the time. My R score is now 33) and my below average CV (some volunteering abroad, some non-related work experience, some school clubs, non-impressive awards, no research/pubs). I also didn't have time to study the summer between my 1st and 2nd year of cegep, as I had worked 90 hours/week. I applied to McGill Dent-P but obviously didn't get in.

My R score is now better (33, during my 4th semester I had a 34.95), and I plan to improve my CRU with my university GPA. My CV is also a bit better.

Here are my questions:

1. The requirements for different universities are very confusing and honestly, I'm having an extremely hard time finding them out. Which francophone universities accept students en-cours de bac, and what are the CRU requirements?

2. When should I take the DAT? I haven't started studying, and I know I wouldn't feel prepared unless I studied 3-4 months so I don't feel great about taking it in September (I would likely be prepared in 1-2 months, but I wouldn't feel calm/confident. And stress strongly affects my results). I'm also working full-time and therefore don't have as many hours in a day to study for the DAT. I also really don't remember a lot of the basic bio, chem, etc. and so it would probably be quite difficult for me to study the material as I would have to learn everything again.

Would I be able to take it in February and still have the results in time to apply to francophone universities as a candidat universitaire en cours de bac?

Thank you for taking the time to read this! I really appreciate all answers.

Now I know nothing about the R score or stuff like that, but I can say that the DAT is doable while working full time. I had a 35 hr / week job plus full-time school at York, and studied for the DAT in about 2 months. How good you feel is based on how you study, it depends on you ofc but if u follow a good study plan and get good results on mock test I think it will make you feel confident

Laval

• 80% CRU: 32,1 (2016)
  • 20% Interview
  • DAT: 5/30 on the manual dexterity test and 15/30 for the visual perception test

UdeM

• 60% CRU I could not find it but it's usually a bit lower than Laval (bigger class)
  • 40% Written Interview + CV
  • DAT: 5/30 on the manual dexterity test and 10/30 for the visual perception test

If you plan on applying only to french schools, you don't have to study for the DAT as the science and chemistry part are not evaluated. Practice your carving skills and try to do the visual exercices provided in the book a few times and everything should be just right! I did the DAT last February and applied the same year, you will not have a safety net though. Feel free to message me if you have any questions! 

Laval

• 80% CRU: 32,1 (2016)
  • 20% Interview
  • DAT: 5/30 on the manual dexterity test and 15/30 for the visual perception test

UdeM

• 60% CRU I could not find it but it's usually a bit lower than Laval (bigger class)
  • 40% Written Interview + CV
  • DAT: 5/30 on the manual dexterity test and 10/30 for the visual perception test

If you plan on applying only to french schools, you don't have to study for the DAT as the science and chemistry part are not evaluated. Practice your carving skills and try to do the visual exercices provided in the book a few times and everything should be just right! I did the DAT last February and applied the same year, you will not have a safety net though. Feel free to message me if you have any questions! 

Thank you! Also, congratulations on getting into dental school!!!!

I am really surprised at how low the required CRU is. I heard a few people say that for UdeM médecine, admission en cours de bac requires at least a 36 CRU to be competitive... I thought it would be the same for med dentaire.

Although they only evaluate the manual dexterity and visual perception test, I feel like if I'm spending so much money on a test, I might as well work hard and get the best score I can get on all sections. Also, I don't expect to get into francophone universities. My french is not good enough for me to properly express myself in an interview (even in a written interview!). So I'm trying to get a good score that I can use for other applications... I don't want a really bad score on my record and I really don't want to have to do it all over again because that would cost a lot more..

How did you study for the DAT test? Did you order soap from them? I'm trying to find economical ways to study for this test  :mellow:

When did you take the test? (Is it possible to take the test in February and still be in time for the application deadline)

For UdeM, the lowest CRU for an interview (as far as I know) is around 33. Not very competitive, but with a good interview, anything can happen (40% is a lot!)

Best of luck!

Edit: Yes, it's possible to take it in February and be eligible for that application cycle.

For Quebec,

UDM and Ulaval don't consider the sciences or the reading comprehension and McGill doesn't require DAT. BTW if you do the DAT in french you won't be given the reading comprehension section at all. So I passed my DAT last February and happy to say I got into dent at Ulaval and I was en-cours de bac. Both UdM & Ulaval accept students en-cours de bac as long as you did your CEGEP or equivalent.

I did really well with my DAT and I took a DAT class in Montreal to help me with the PAT and soap carving sections.

Make sure you get a lot of practice, I have friends that failed the soap carving but did really well in the other sections and they still had to retake the entire DAT and wait a year....

Work hard & you'll get it too,

Good luck!

For Quebec,

UDM and Ulaval don't consider the sciences or the reading comprehension and McGill doesn't require DAT. BTW if you do the DAT in french you won't be given the reading comprehension section at all. So I passed my DAT last February and happy to say I got into dent at Ulaval and I was en-cours de bac. Both UdM & Ulaval accept students en-cours de bac as long as you did your CEGEP or equivalent.

I did really well with my DAT and I took a DAT class in Montreal to help me with the PAT and soap carving sections.

Make sure you get a lot of practice, I have friends that failed the soap carving but did really well in the other sections and they still had to retake the entire DAT and wait a year....

Work hard & you'll get it too,

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! May I ask what course you took?

M8925,

Do you think 18 soap (practice) is enough to pass the DAT carving section ?

I think I'll use candles or something similar first before I begin using the DAT soaps..

40$ for a pack of six soaps... WOW Dental school is really not meant for people on financial aid. 

When are you taking it?

I think I'll use candles or something similar first before I begin using the DAT soaps..

40$ for a pack of six soaps... WOW Dental school is really not meant for people on financial aid. 

When are you taking it?

November,

Yeah I was surprised by the price too

• 1 year later...

Archived