Premed 101 Forums

Commuting to Wayne State

So I'm writing my secondary for Wayne state, and explaining how I would commute from Windsor to Detroit. Is this allowed? Like would I be able to get a Visa to study in the States, even though I still have a Canadian address? I am having trouble figuring out who I could even contact to answer this question.

1 hour ago, bearded frog said:

Why would you say that? What possible benefit to your application would that have. Regardless of where you decide to live I can't see how it would help to talk about it, but multiple ways it would hurt.

You think? I was saying that a part of the reason I wanted to attend their school was so I could continue living in Canada, and my girlfriend would be able to continue working as a teacher. There's a lot more to it, but do you think I should just answer the "why Wayne state" question by talking about how parts of their program would help me blah blah....

I would spin it and say that Wayne is close to your social supports, family, girlfriend etc which would in part help you succeed in a challenging environment. You could also mention the uniqueness of training in a city like Detroit given its very extensive patient population and pathologies.

2 hours ago, shogun91 said:

I would spin it and say that Wayne is close to your social supports, family, girlfriend etc which would in part help you succeed in a challenging environment. You could also mention the uniqueness of training in a city like Detroit given its very extensive patient population and pathologies.

That's basically a condensed version of what I wrote. Plus some stuff about it being Hockeytown.

Talk about how being in Detroit would mean you would be able to serve the people of Michigan, Detroit, etc, while also maintaining a connection with your home country. I would NOT say that I was planning on living in Canada while attending. If you're accepted then go for it, but I think it might sound that you don't want to be involved in the community that Wayne State serves. You should try and emphasize that you will also work to serve the people (americans) that pay the taxes that supplement the facilities you will be working in.

• 1 month later...
On 7/6/2017 at 4:00 PM, Jfourn said:

So I'm writing my secondary for Wayne state, and explaining how I would commute from Windsor to Detroit. Is this allowed? Like would I be able to get a Visa to study in the States, even though I still have a Canadian address? I am having trouble figuring out who I could even contact to answer this question.

Points for honesty, but yeah, bearded frog is right, it won't help your application. They are hoping to train people who will be living in the US while there and hopefully longer term. You can say its close to fam and friends, but don't say you plan on living in Canada while attending school in the states, it gives them the vibe that you are probably just using them to eventually return to Canada. 

Archived