Premed 101 Forums

Gap between studying for MCAT and working/volunteering

I was just hoping to get some advice about this. I am planning on writing my MCAT next summer (first attempt) and I would like to dedicate my summer (3-4 months) on studying for it and practicing as much as I can. However, it dawns on me that I may not be able to maintain a summer job this way, nor dedicate myself to a volunteer position as a regular volunteer. I have heard about people who have balanced studying and other things before, but I would like to devote as much time as I can in one summer term, rather than having to repeat it because of divided responsibilities. Would you recommend balancing or devoting? Am I overthinking this? I am not looking to fill up my resume just for the sake of it; it is just that I have worked with a great PI for two years now and I would love to continue to work for him in the future - just think this gap would jumble things up. 

You want to nail the MCAT first try if you can.  It is also very exhausting to prepare well and hold down a 40 hour-a -week job.  That said - you also cannot prepare for 16 hours a day 7 days a week for 3 months. Take on a part time job or take on some EC or volunteer activity in something you love.   Prep for May-July and write in early August so you will have your scores back before Canadian application cycle starts.

I think it's very possible to do both, and you have a few options. Have you taken a lot of the core science courses already, or will you be taking them this year (Intro Chem, organic chem, biochem, bio, microbio, physics, genetics, etc.)? If so, you may not need to study as much as you think you might, because some of the material on the MCAT may be matieral you've already learned in previous classes.

I would suggest balancing your study time with work time and/or volunteering/EC time. When I was studying for the MCAT, I needed that time to keep myself motivated and to keep my studying effective. Working part-time with your current PI, if that's an option, may be a good middle ground too. 

I think the best place to start would be to take a look at the topics covered by the MCAT, and determine how much is already familiar to you and how much you'll need to learn/review in more detail. You can even take a practice test to gauge where you're at and how much studying you'll need to devote to each section. I think that will help you make your choice about whether or not to work while studying next summer. Make sure you take time for yourself, too! You don't want to go into your next school year feeling burnt out from studying all summer. 

Good luck! :)

12 hours ago, HappyAndHopeful said:

I think it's very possible to do both, and you have a few options. Have you taken a lot of the core science courses already, or will you be taking them this year (Intro Chem, organic chem, biochem, bio, microbio, physics, genetics, etc.)? If so, you may not need to study as much as you think you might, because some of the material on the MCAT may be matieral you've already learned in previous classes.

I would suggest balancing your study time with work time and/or volunteering/EC time. When I was studying for the MCAT, I needed that time to keep myself motivated and to keep my studying effective. Working part-time with your current PI, if that's an option, may be a good middle ground too. 

I think the best place to start would be to take a look at the topics covered by the MCAT, and determine how much is already familiar to you and how much you'll need to learn/review in more detail. You can even take a practice test to gauge where you're at and how much studying you'll need to devote to each section. I think that will help you make your choice about whether or not to work while studying next summer. Make sure you take time for yourself, too! You don't want to go into your next school year feeling burnt out from studying all summer. 

Good luck! :)

Thank you for the reply, I do have many of the science courses already. I may just look into volunteering with my PI and manage my time wisely. It's tough but I don't want to spread myself too thin. 

Hi PreMedJen,

If you have a science background, I would not worry too much about dedicating 3-4 months of your summer to intense MCAT studying. Certainly brush up on topics you may be hazy on, but you really only need to be familiar with all the topics as they are tested in a first year course level. 

You're right, it does require some time management.. but I would recommend starting off to volunteer and if it's too much, you can just drop it. 

Archived