Premed 101 Forums

Schulich App Clarification

Based on your past experience or if you had it clarified by someone, what does this line mean? (found on the application) 

"Note: Only applicants whose files are complete will be notified of the decision of the Admissions Committee after the meeting."

I am doing a 1-year master's which will be completed by August 2018, and degree will be received at Fall convocation (Oct.). I have asked Schulich before and know that if I gained admission, I would need a letter by my supervisors to confirm that I am on track to graduate in expected time by June 30. However, what I am wondering is, will I be at any point at a disadvantage or decreased chance of acceptance for not having my program completed till August?  

Any input would be appreciated! 

This would be applicable to you:

"Graduate degree candidates must complete all requirements for their graduate degree (including a successful thesis defense, if applicable) by June 30 of the year of entry. It will be the students' responsibility to assure confirmation by their Faculty of Graduate Studies no later than June 30 that all requirements for the degree have been met. No deferred admission will be granted"

If your thesis will be completed by August 2018, meaning that's when you would defend (if even applicable) or that's when your program is completed and you are deemed successful to attend convocation, then if you're granted admission after an interview, you will not be able to enroll in Dentistry at Western based on the STRICT June 30th deadline

Hope this helps 

Edit: Schulich doesn't regard when you complete your program in their admission process. If you are successfully chosen, then the deadline for submission of documents to matriculate in the class is what would hinder you.

35 minutes ago, longhaul said:

This would be applicable to you:

"Graduate degree candidates must complete all requirements for their graduate degree (including a successful thesis defense, if applicable) by June 30 of the year of entry. It will be the students' responsibility to assure confirmation by their Faculty of Graduate Studies no later than June 30 that all requirements for the degree have been met. No deferred admission will be granted"

If your thesis will be completed by August 2018, meaning that's when you would defend (if even applicable) or that's when your program is completed and you are deemed successful to attend convocation, then if you're granted admission after an interview, you will not be able to enroll in Dentistry at Western based on the STRICT June 30th deadline

Hope this helps 

Edit: Schulich doesn't regard when you complete your program in their admission process. If you are successfully chosen, then the deadline for submission of documents to matriculate in the class is what would hinder you.

My Masters is a course-based program, it is not a thesis based. The course component will be completed by April. During May-Aug period followed by a small project over the summer. According to Schulich's email "completing your master's program by June 30th, 2018 or providing us with a letter of good standing by June 30th, 2018 indicating there are no concerns with meeting all requirements of the master's degree.  Your final transcript must be received by August 15th, 2018." 

So based on that and depending on the letter, then as you say, they wouldn't take my completion time in admission process, correct? 

30 minutes ago, Futbol99 said:

My Masters is a course-based program, it is not a thesis based. The course component will be completed by April. During May-Aug period followed by a small project over the summer. According to Schulich's email "completing your master's program by June 30th, 2018 or providing us with a letter of good standing by June 30th, 2018 indicating there are no concerns with meeting all requirements of the master's degree.  Your final transcript must be received by August 15th, 2018." 

So based on that and depending on the letter, then as you say, they wouldn't take my completion time in admission process, correct? 

If you've emailed them and ensured that since your course-based program has a summer project they'll accept a letter of good standing by June 30th, 2018, then they will not consider your degree completion time in their admission process. They never ask you in the application, supplemental or interview when you expect to complete your degree (they do look for you being in the last year of your degree though). You'd get an equal shot at it like everyone else, and if you were to be selected for a spot, then they'd care about you completing the master's on time (your case is special and so letter in June and transcript in August).

Best of luck!

Archived