Premed 101 Forums

Chances at UWO Schulich Dentistry?

General consensus is Schulich doesn't favour OOP or IP and treats both equally. Looking at previous years' admissions stats, you'd be competitive based on grades+DAT, though mind you that RC is used for interview invites and AA is then used post interview as stated on the site. Your ECs and supplemental will play a large part in determining if you are invited for an interview. From there, interview is basically make or break, based on how everyone attending would be in the same boat

Don't fret too much right now. Focus on your supplemental app first and take it slow. I can understand your eagerness to fret about every little detail on your chances right now, but try to focus on what you're able to impact currently!

Good luck :)

9 minutes ago, Nancy Narwhal said:

You should definitely apply! I heard that there is a boost for students born in 1995 (im guessing you are based on your username). If thats the case you have an advantage over other applicants (not a huge one, but an advantage nonetheless).  

damn you're revealing all the secret strats. Keep it on the down low doe

33 minutes ago, Nancy Narwhal said:

You should definitely apply! I heard that there is a boost for students born in 1995 (im guessing you are based on your username). If thats the case you have an advantage over other applicants (not a huge one, but an advantage nonetheless).  

What...

2 minutes ago, mr.smith said:

Does anyone know the minimum DAT scores that is needed to be eligible for this cycle? I can't find it on their website so I'm assuming it depends on the applicant pool or nah?

Yeah it usually depends on the applicant pool but RC should be 19. This year, they're planning on looking at PAT so we're not sure if its going to have a minimum requirement.

On November 27, 2017 at 8:16 PM, longhaul said:

General consensus is Schulich doesn't favour OOP or IP and treats both equally. Looking at previous years' admissions stats, you'd be competitive based on grades+DAT, though mind you that RC is used for interview invites and AA is then used post interview as stated on the site. Your ECs and supplemental will play a large part in determining if you are invited for an interview. From there, interview is basically make or break, based on how everyone attending would be in the same boat

Don't fret too much right now. Focus on your supplemental app first and take it slow. I can understand your eagerness to fret about every little detail on your chances right now, but try to focus on what you're able to impact currently!

Good luck :)

Not sure I agree that by the time it comes to the interview that that is the determiner since everyone is then "in the same boat". At least in the far past there was a clear weighting of which the interview was not the overwhelming weighting - so gpa comes into play throughout. Even if you have an outstanding interview relative to the pack, if your gpa drags your "total" down too much you are out of luck. With the gpa of 87.8, it is definitely worth applying but you need to be realistic about a fair number who will be starting out ahead of you in gpa. Your DAT definitely helps but you definitely would require a strong gpa (we still don't know the weighting now given to the EC/statement factor though)

3 hours ago, smilebright said:

Not sure I agree that by the time it comes to the interview that that is the determiner since everyone is then "in the same boat". At least in the far past there was a clear weighting of which the interview was not the overwhelming weighting - so gpa comes into play throughout. Even if you have an outstanding interview relative to the pack, if your gpa drags your "total" down too much you are out of luck. With the gpa of 87.8, it is definitely worth applying but you need to be realistic about a fair number who will be starting out ahead of you in gpa. Your DAT definitely helps but you definitely would require a strong gpa (we still don't know the weighting now given to the EC/statement factor though)

UWO has a lesser emphasis on GPA now and they do place a large emphasis on the interview/PS. If you look at the stats for the last two years, it’s more weighted to people who have higher education and more rounded profiles. The GPA range of accepted applicants was 81-97% this year so GPA is not as big of a factor now. A few people I know with 92% avgs got rejected without an interview but those with 84% got an interview. So clearly, GPA is not weighted highly.

Anyone who receives an interview has a very realistic chance of getting in. Some will go into the interview with a higher file score than others but yes the interview will "make or break" you. People with a higher file score pre-interview will have a greater "buffer" for the interview. The overall file score is going to take into account every aspect of the application.

6 hours ago, smilebright said:

I think as others who have pointed out that have went through the interview process, you enter interviews with this mentality but quickly come to realize that it isn't so. As Steins;Gate mentioned, the buffer would be there for those with higher GPAs who interview, no one is arguing that, but once you're invited, treat the interview as a "make or break" since it's been evidenced that both UWO and UofT decline interviewees with 4.0s, and some applicants don't even make it to a Western interview, even with having a 4.0 GPA and a good DAT. 

Ultimately, everyone who is at the interview stage is a good candidate "on paper". The interview has a major impact (I can say this was the case for both U of T and UWO for myself) and I have seen people with great file scores pre-interview being rejected post-interview and vice versa this past cycle. For some, it will be harder to obtain the offer than others. However, time and time again, people with lower GPA/DAT get offers year after year.

On 2017-11-27 at 7:48 PM, Nancy Narwhal said:

Can someone explain why there is a boost for students born in 1995? Or is this a joke? 

Archived