Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
hopefullyhopeful

Official University Of Alberta 2018 Pharmacy Applicants - Class Of 2022

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, LethyPharm said:

oh ok. Yeah I'm just wondering because i have a 3.75 last 2 years but a lower cumulative of 3.55 because my first year wasn't amazing.. Also feel that my LOI was good and interview was ok. Will apply again next year though if i don't hear anything soon

Don’t lose hope! We were given a deadline until June 14th to make a decision. After this time period I assume they will be rolling out more letters! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys! For those who have paid the registration fee, where did it come up on bear tracks? It says that I don’t have any outstanding fees so I’m pretty confused!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, UhhhhhhOkay said:

It should come up in 2 to 3 days!

I got accepted June 13 though! Is it supposed to come up on bear tracks as an outstanding balance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pharm98 said:

I got accepted June 13 though! Is it supposed to come up on bear tracks as an outstanding balance?

Oh wow, I wouldn’t know then. You should send them an email and double check

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone!

I was accepted on June 18th as an OOP applicant. I have been trying to calculate what the possible tuition cost will be for the year, and I was just curious if anyone has ever heard a confirmed number? I get around $15,500 using the U of A tuition calculator. Is that accurate?

Looking forward to meeting everyone in the fall :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy Canada day everyone! And congrats to those who were just admitted. :lol:

For those who are attending another school, does anyone know how the transfer process works? I'm still registered at UoC, but I don't know when one would usually talk to the registrar to get transferred or if I should wait for more paperwork.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys! I’m so happy for everyone that has gotten accepted! Im wondering if anyone is looking for a place to stay for the year. I have a condo near Clareview and am looking for a female roommate, was thinking it would be neat to have someone in my program. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lynn123 said:

Hey guys! I’m so happy for everyone that has gotten accepted! Im wondering if anyone is looking for a place to stay for the year. I have a condo near Clareview and am looking for a female roommate, was thinking it would be neat to have someone in my program. 

I believe once everyone has been accepted  a Facebook page is made where you may have better luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:38 PM, UhhhhhhOkay said:

I booked an appointment

Hi,

Did you go for the appointment? If so, if not too much trouble, could you please share with us the non-confidential part of the meeting?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Salam19 said:

Hi,

Did you go for the appointment? If so, if not too much trouble, could you please share with us the non-confidential part of the meeting?  

I did, I booked an appointment in January regarding applying and what the admissions team would be looking for.

During the meeting they emphasized that they will ONLY be looking at the most recent 2 fall/winter academic GPAs. Yes this means that: pGPA or cGPAs do not matter unless they fit under this criteria, and spring/summer courses and their respective GPAs do not matter or account towards the application process. 

In addition, they stressed the importance of having a full course load (5 courses per semester). As an example if two students both applying with a 3.5 GPA, one with 9 courses and the latter with 10 courses per year. The student with the heavier course load would be admitted over the other.

Finally, I asked them to give me a weight on each part of the application process. They said the optional part of shadowing a pharmacist is essentially mandatory due to the fact that if one cannot take the time to do so, they dont have enough drive or care to be part of the program. Other than, they told me that your grades would be worth around 70% of the application and the other two parts would be worth around 30%.

This information is what I got from the meeting. Now, I have talked to someone who was on the admissions team for the class of 2021. They stated that they take the courses that were taken over the past 2 years and calculate multiple GPAs based on certain classes, emphasizing on Biochem and Pmcol. There are a few other GPAs that they calculate but all in all the focus is on biochem and pharmacology.

Im not sure how important this is or how this process will reflect the admission process that went on this year but it is worth noting. 

 

I hope this helps, and please excuse my poor writing as this is all done on my iPhone haha.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, UhhhhhhOkay said:

I did, I booked an appointment in January regarding applying and what the admissions team would be looking for.

During the meeting they emphasized that they will ONLY be looking at the most recent 2 fall/winter academic GPAs. Yes this means that: pGPA or cGPAs do not matter unless they fit under this criteria, and spring/summer courses and their respective GPAs do not matter or account towards the application process. 

In addition, they stressed the importance of having a full course load (5 courses per semester). As an example if two students both applying with a 3.5 GPA, one with 9 courses and the latter with 10 courses per year. The student with the heavier course load would be admitted over the other.

Finally, I asked them to give me a weight on each part of the application process. They said the optional part of shadowing a pharmacist is essentially mandatory due to the fact that if one cannot take the time to do so, they dont have enough drive or care to be part of the program. Other than, they told me that your grades would be worth around 70% of the application and the other two parts would be worth around 30%.

This information is what I got from the meeting. Now, I have talked to someone who was on the admissions team for the class of 2021. They stated that they take the courses that were taken over the past 2 years and calculate multiple GPAs based on certain classes, emphasizing on Biochem and Pmcol. There are a few other GPAs that they calculate but all in all the focus is on biochem and pharmacology.

Im not sure how important this is or how this process will reflect the admission process that went on this year but it is worth noting. 

 

I hope this helps, and please excuse my poor writing as this is all done on my iPhone haha.

 

 

Thank you very much for sharing . This was indeed very useful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UhhhhhhOkay said:

I did, I booked an appointment in January regarding applying and what the admissions team would be looking for.

During the meeting they emphasized that they will ONLY be looking at the most recent 2 fall/winter academic GPAs. Yes this means that: pGPA or cGPAs do not matter unless they fit under this criteria, and spring/summer courses and their respective GPAs do not matter or account towards the application process. 

In addition, they stressed the importance of having a full course load (5 courses per semester). As an example if two students both applying with a 3.5 GPA, one with 9 courses and the latter with 10 courses per year. The student with the heavier course load would be admitted over the other.

Finally, I asked them to give me a weight on each part of the application process. They said the optional part of shadowing a pharmacist is essentially mandatory due to the fact that if one cannot take the time to do so, they dont have enough drive or care to be part of the program. Other than, they told me that your grades would be worth around 70% of the application and the other two parts would be worth around 30%.

This information is what I got from the meeting. Now, I have talked to someone who was on the admissions team for the class of 2021. They stated that they take the courses that were taken over the past 2 years and calculate multiple GPAs based on certain classes, emphasizing on Biochem and Pmcol. There are a few other GPAs that they calculate but all in all the focus is on biochem and pharmacology.

Im not sure how important this is or how this process will reflect the admission process that went on this year but it is worth noting. 

 

I hope this helps, and please excuse my poor writing as this is all done on my iPhone haha.

 

 

I think my GPAs are competitive but my application status on bear tracks is still showing as "Decision Pending."

From your point of view, do you think it is a good idea to call the Faculty and inquire about the my application?

 

Thanks,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Salam19 said:

I think my GPAs are competitive but my application status on bear tracks is still showing as "Decision Pending."

From your point of view, do you think it is a good idea to call the Faculty and inquire about the my application?

 

Thanks,

I am under the assumption that the admissions board has already met and looked at all candidates and have ranked them accordingly. They are slowly rolling out admissions in batches. 

For us June 28 admissions, we have until July 14th to make our decisions. Therefore I believe the next batch of admissions would be around July 15th or a few days further.

But to answer your question I don’t believe inquiring would do much for you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, melody20 said:

Does anyone know if full course load amounts for the program will show up when applying for loans? Just unsure of how much to request

I just did this myself. I just put 15000 lol. The maximum is 22500. Request whatever the maximum is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys! I just got my acceptance today, and I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

I will be moving to Edmonton, so I am looking for a female roommate. If anyone else is also looking, let me know! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, ljm said:

Hey guys! I just got my acceptance today, and I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

I will be moving to Edmonton, so I am looking for a female roommate. If anyone else is also looking, let me know! :) 

@Lynn123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ljm said:

Hey guys! I just got my acceptance today, and I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

I will be moving to Edmonton, so I am looking for a female roommate. If anyone else is also looking, let me know! :) 

Stats please!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys! I got my acceptance email yesterday. 

I'm in province and applied after my third year   

cGPA: 3.6 

pGPA: 3.5 

Best 30 credits: 3.7 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×