Premed 101 Forums

Anyone Able to Finish All Pre Req in 2 Years?

I'm currently in umanitoba first year and the minimum to go into dental school is 2 years and after this year I would only need to do 2 physics, 1 more bio, 1 more organic chem, and 2 biochem. But the thing is, all of these have labs and I feel like it would be too stressful to have 3 labs per semester (in order to finish in 2 years time), I am wondering, has anyone completed all the prereqs in 2 years from umanitoba and if you did, how did you find it? Was it manageable or too much? 

Not sure how the labs are in umanitoba but when I was in undergrad I had a fall semester with 5 labs in it plus tutorials. If you really want to do it and feel you can do it then go ahead. Even though you've only been through one semester gauge how much work you had this sem vs how well you did and think about if you would've been able to handle a higher work load. 

Rule of thumb is to be as conservative as possible. Meaning is that you aim to preserve your gpa and keep it as high as possible.  If you feel you can't handle the workload, then you shouldn't take that number of labs/courses. I am in engineering, and in some semesters I need to take 7 courses, and the norm is 6. I did almost half of the pre reqs. I took summer school and planned my schedule accordingly. I am starting my second semester of second year.

On 1/6/2018 at 7:55 AM, BScDMD said:

Know your limits, only 2 people in my class finished them in 2 years. The rest of us are not worse off. Just make sure you can do well with however many you’re gonna take, cause no one cares once you get in.

The thing is, the only course I would need to take if I did a 3rd year would be 2 biochem courses and I'm pretty sure you need a full course load each year for dentistry so either I would take a bunch of easy courses that is just a waste of money or take courses that further my degree but would lower my gpa. I am staying on campus too so an extra year costs alot more lol.

Since you are already in dental and you did it in manitoba, I'm just wondering how long did it take you to finish and also how are the biochem courses, I heard they are pretty difficult 

2 minutes ago, darmanitoba said:

The thing is, the only course I would need to take if I did a 3rd year would be 2 biochem courses and I'm pretty sure you need a full course load each year for dentistry so either I would take a bunch of easy courses that is just a waste of money or take courses that further my degree but would lower my gpa. I am staying on campus too so an extra year costs alot more lol.

Since you are already in dental and you did it in manitoba, I'm just wondering how long did it take you to finish and also how are the biochem courses, I heard they are pretty difficult 

I finished a general BSc prior to getting in. Biochems weren't the easiest courses. If you think you can handle finishing everything in 2 years (and do VERY WELL) then go for it! If you're concerned about the money, don't be - it's a drop in the bucket once you get into dentistry. Ultimately, you need to do well to get into dentistry. If you are confident you can do it in the 2 years that's awesome, if you think you might struggle to finish everything with a great GPA and on top of that take the DAT then maybe strategize your courses a bit more. Ultimately what I'm saying is that it can be done, it just depends on how much you can handle, like I said before - the vast majority of us didn't do it in 2 years.

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎07 at 0:41 PM, BScDMD said:

I finished a general BSc prior to getting in. Biochems weren't the easiest courses. If you think you can handle finishing everything in 2 years (and do VERY WELL) then go for it! If you're concerned about the money, don't be - it's a drop in the bucket once you get into dentistry. Ultimately, you need to do well to get into dentistry. If you are confident you can do it in the 2 years that's awesome, if you think you might struggle to finish everything with a great GPA and on top of that take the DAT then maybe strategize your courses a bit more. Ultimately what I'm saying is that it can be done, it just depends on how much you can handle, like I said before - the vast majority of us didn't do it in 2 years.

Ya I think I will do 3 years, based on what people say here. I am just curious why did you do 4 years and get your degree? Was it for a backup if you don't get into dentistry, or some other reason?

1 hour ago, darmanitoba said:

Ya I think I will do 3 years, based on what people say here. I am just curious why did you do 4 years and get your degree? Was it for a backup if you don't get into dentistry, or some other reason?

Just because of the way I planned out my courses it took me a little longer. The reason I got it was because I had the reqs to get it by the time I applied to dent, not as a back up. The only thing a BSc is potentially useful for is heat if you burn it.

Archived