Premed 101 Forums

Acceptance at US and waiting on Canada

Hi guys

I've recently been accepted into a school in US. I'm waiting to interview at few places in Canada. My ultimate preference would be to go to a Canadian medical school.

I had questions about acceptance and wait list guidelines. From what I understand you can hold an acceptance at a US school but continue your application as is in Canada - am I correct?

Also, within Canada, the only circumstance I would have to "give up" a seat on a wait list is if I get an offer from a Ontario school but wait-listed on another Ontario school, but I can hold multiple acceptance if they are out of the province, am I correct? Not that I'd want to, but let's say if I got an offer in Saskatchewan but was waitlisted at a school in Ontario, would I be able to remain on waitlist while accepting the offer in Saskatchewan?

Thanks everyone!

• 1 month later...

I think in Canada you're able to hold more than one waitlist position but you can only hold onto one offer at a time. You cannot hold multiple acceptances for out of province schools, at least told by Dalhousie. Their acceptance letter said you must choose between multiple offers within 48 hours of receiving them, and that the Canadian med schools communicate about this. You can accept Saskatchewan's offer and remain on Ontario waitlist but once you get an offer you will have to make a final choice. For Ontario, once you accept an offer, you're taken off the waitlist of other Ontario schools.

Archived