Premed 101 Forums

Varsity sports and med - can they be mixed?

I haven't personally, but I honestly don't think it is possible on two levels: 

1. I don't think you could fit it into your schedule. Exams are on weekends. We're in class, small group, clinical skills or lab like a full time job, usually 8-5 with one or two mornings off per week. On top of in-person sessions you have to prep for CBL 3x per week and most people I talk to spend about an hour prep for each session. Plus a couple online modules per month. Plus studying. Although the work is easier/less stressful than undergrad, it simply requires more of your time
  2. I honestly think trying to do so would damage your mental health and personal well-being. Even if you managed to make the practices and games without sacrificing aspects of your education, you would have almost zero time left for other interests, family, and social activity. 

My comments are based on the fact that I worked part-time in undergrad averaging almost exactly the same number of hours per week as my friend spent on a varsity team and there is no way I could keep up with that many hours working while in med school. 

However, the intramural sports teams and faculty of medicine group activities are amazing. Like 1/3 of the class (over 100 people) from this year's med class at UBC are on an intramural team. We at the IMP have a running club and we go play squash together most Sundays. Lots of options available that are more manageable from my perspective. 

10 hours ago, OwnerOfTheTARDIS said:

I haven't personally, but I honestly don't think it is possible on two levels: 

1. I don't think you could fit it into your schedule. Exams are on weekends. We're in class, small group, clinical skills or lab like a full time job, usually 8-5 with one or two mornings off per week. On top of in-person sessions you have to prep for CBL 3x per week and most people I talk to spend about an hour prep for each session. Plus a couple online modules per month. Plus studying. Although the work is easier/less stressful than undergrad, it simply requires more of your time
  2. I honestly think trying to do so would damage your mental health and personal well-being. Even if you managed to make the practices and games without sacrificing aspects of your education, you would have almost zero time left for other interests, family, and social activity. 

My comments are based on the fact that I worked part-time in undergrad averaging almost exactly the same number of hours per week as my friend spent on a varsity team and there is no way I could keep up with that many hours working while in med school. 

However, the intramural sports teams and faculty of medicine group activities are amazing. Like 1/3 of the class (over 100 people) from this year's med class at UBC are on an intramural team. We at the IMP have a running club and we go play squash together most Sundays. Lots of options available that are more manageable from my perspective. 

I would second this advice. Varsity requires a big time commitment, and our schedule simply isn’t very flexible nor forgiving. I know a lot of people who are managing to keep up with hobbies or personal interest in sports while also keeping up with school. But I haven’t yet encountered anyone doing varsity. Its hard to not to need to drop everything some weeks when the content starts to get overwhelming or we have exams.

The intramural commitment in the group is very impressive! I don’t know how people manage the really late night 10pm or 11pm games in some of the sports -_-zzzzzzz

Yes its possible, if it is important to yoy. You have to manage your time extremely well and make some sacrafices somewhere else.  While med is often 8-5 3 days a week at least and half days(but sometimes full day) the other two days, not all of it is mandatory. CBL is mandatory and anatomy lab, and a few other things.. But you can get away with missing most lectures, and histology lab and Neuro labs.  

If you're organized and make time for it, you can continue your varsity support at least in year 1 and 2. Not after that though.

Youll only know yourself once in. While it may not work for some, it can work for others.  Add on the fact that you dont need to be getting As in med either. That said those that did varsity or work, still did well in school too. There is a fair amount of time available.

Archived