Premed 101 Forums

Statistical and research methods on the MCAT?

Will the MCAT require us to have knowledge of the statistical and research methods across the various sciences before writing the exam? The Princeton Review books places information about these methods in the appendix of their books but I don't know if they are necessary to review. 

3 hours ago, hash.me said:

Will the MCAT require us to have knowledge of the statistical and research methods across the various sciences before writing the exam? The Princeton Review books places information about these methods in the appendix of their books but I don't know if they are necessary to review. 

In my experience, it's really helpful to have a basic understanding of these topics since there are sometimes methodology-based questions where it is useful to understand how the researchers have designed their experiment. I would say that this was most noticeable in the psych/sociology section of the MCAT when I took it. 

It might not be an explicit question on stats/methods but I agree having knowledge of the experimental process is very helpful since many passages are from scientific publications. I don't think you necessarily need to spend a lot of time on it if you have a science background, since the topics are something I've been introduced to even in high school. If you have any research EC then you're pretty set but I don't think you'd be asking this question if you did. So yes, review them if you're not already comfortable and confident with those concepts

Archived