Premed 101 Forums

Questions for current students

Hello! I just had a couple questions about the start of the MD program for current students:

1. It says on the letter of acceptance that August 27th is the start date - I just wanted to confirm that this is the start day for orientation? I'm planning out a trip in August and want to make sure I won't need to be home any earlier than that date.

2. Do we have to get any first aid/CPR training before we start school? I didn't see anything on the offer about it, but I remember hearing about it at some point.

3. Should we be worrying about getting a stethoscope yet or will this be done when we start school?

Thanks in advance for your help!

1. It starts the day they say it starts. Not a trick :). Some people organize meet-ups during the summer so watch out for these on the Facebook page!

2. They would tell you if they need you to get/update yours, and it's BLS that you would need.

3. They organize bulk steth orders too during the school year (a few bucks cheaper)!

CONGRATS and WELCOME!

On 4/28/2018 at 3:47 PM, plane said:

1. It starts the day they say it starts. Not a trick :). Some people organize meet-ups during the summer so watch out for these on the Facebook page!

2. They would tell you if they need you to get/update yours, and it's BLS that you would need.

3. They organize bulk steth orders too during the school year (a few bucks cheaper)!

CONGRATS and WELCOME!

Thank you!!! Is there a Facebook group started yet?

On 4/29/2018 at 8:41 PM, jengamaster said:

Hi guys,

One of the required documents to submit by May 25 is Proof of granting of a baccalaureate degree. 

Is there a specific document they are asking for? 

If you attend the UofA, they receive that automatically. I believe it's just a statement on your transcript, but I'd double check with them to make sure.

Also, in regards to  MD with special training in research (STIR) project for Summers. Would doing this research project allows applicants to be more qualified for competitive specialties? Do we get funding to pursue STIR ?

Congratulations on your acceptance and best wishes ahead @macd

See the responses below. 

- G

On 4/27/2018 at 7:53 AM, macd said:

Hello! I just had a couple questions about the start of the MD program for current students: 

1. It says on the letter of acceptance that August 27th is the start date - I just wanted to confirm that this is the start day for orientation? I'm planning out a trip in August and want to make sure I won't need to be home any earlier than that date. Yes make it back by that date (there's some social events but not mandatory if you're travelling). 

2. Do we have to get any first aid/CPR training before we start school? I didn't see anything on the offer about it, but I remember hearing about it at some point. The administration will help you with this 

3. Should we be worrying about getting a stethoscope yet or will this be done when we start school? Again, the school and other students will help arrange this for you.

Thanks in advance for your help! You're welcome and I look forward to meeting you.

Hi! Had a question for current students, how did you manage your extracurricular commitments outside of school, did you find you had time to slot things in? I understand there may be some components of the program that involve volunteering, was it possible to build previous volunteer roles into your schedules? i.e. Did you find yourself able to continue work you were previously involved in before you joined Med fairly easily? or did you have to work to carve out time for it?

Archived