Premed 101 Forums

Hi all! Sorry to bother you with the usual "what are my chances" question!

I am going onto the 4th year of my undergrad and I plan on applying to UOttawa. I am bilingual so I'm struggling as to which stream I should apply to. Assuming I calculated it correctly, my cGPA is 3.95. I read on previous posts that the French stream is less competitive in terms of getting an interview invite and, to be quite honest, that's why I'm leaning towards applying in that stream. However, although I am bilingual I definitely feel like I express myself a lot better in English (so I feel like my CASPER in English would be a lot better) and I feel like I would do better on an English interview vs. a French one.

From last years interviews/regrets I saw that those in the lower 90s for GPA didn't get an English invite (and then there would be some cases where they did) so I'm not sure if I stand a chance getting an English invite with my GPA (I realize it's hard to tell without having written the CASPER)?

Any advice/help would be much appreciated! :)

7 hours ago, premednewbie977 said:

Hi all! Sorry to bother you with the usual "what are my chances" question!

I am going onto the 4th year of my undergrad and I plan on applying to UOttawa. I am bilingual so I'm struggling as to which stream I should apply to. Assuming I calculated it correctly, my cGPA is 3.95. I read on previous posts that the French stream is less competitive in terms of getting an interview invite and, to be quite honest, that's why I'm leaning towards applying in that stream. However, although I am bilingual I definitely feel like I express myself a lot better in English (so I feel like my CASPER in English would be a lot better) and I feel like I would do better on an English interview vs. a French one.

From last years interviews/regrets I saw that those in the lower 90s for GPA didn't get an English invite (and then there would be some cases where they did) so I'm not sure if I stand a chance getting an English invite with my GPA (I realize it's hard to tell without having written the CASPER)?

Any advice/help would be much appreciated! :)

If your wGPA is 3.95, that's definitely competitive for both streams. Its really the additional stuff on your application that will determine if you get an interview. In terms of streams, some pros of the French stream are that it's smaller so people possibly get to know everybody better, it has a lower GPA average and there are fewer people applying per spot so your chances are better, you also do all of your pre-clerkship and 3rd year rotations at French-speaking sites, so you'll get to work on your French and be able to do clinical work in French and English in your career (very handy if you live in Ottawa or other cities with a large French-speaking population). The downside for the French stream is that the exams are generally written by the English content experts and translated into French and so the French lecturers don't always cover the exact same material (some people in the French stream listen to recordings of the English stream lectures) and my friends in the French stream have told me that the translated exam questions are not always clear. For the English stream, cons are its harder to get into statistically speaking and the class is larger (if that bothers you, but I personally think its a good size). Pros of the English stream, is the exams better cover material taught in the English stream. I would say the English stream at uOttawa is probably quite similar to all the other English-speaking medical schools in Canada. Perhaps other uOttawa students can add to what I've said, but people in both streams are pretty happy to be there.  

You need to speak french fairly well without reverting to english during the interview. If that is possible for you there should be no problem for you applying to the french stream which is a tad less competitive with the provision that you are fluent enough to write a decent casper.

Mr Duck

• 2 weeks later...

I know people with a cGPA 4.0 that applied to the French stream because it's "easier". However, once they got to the interview part, it did not go as well as they intended. I would definitely say that with a competitive GPA as high as yours you should definitely apply to the langage  stream you are most comfortable with. That way you can definitely nail the Casper and interview.

@m_jacob_45 thank you so much for the feedback and pro/cons, quite a few points I hadn't considered about the French stream! :)I'm still thinking about which stream I should I apply through. 

@Donald_Duck Thank you!! I am able to speak French to the point where I don't feel the need to use English words/phrases and I do feel comfortable speaking the language. My main reason for being hesitant to apply through the French stream is the CASPER. The time constraint plus typing in a language that isn't my first is difficult :/ 

@zackattack881 if you don't mind me asking, your friends that applied to the French stream because it's "easier", was French their first language? 

@premednewbie977 I don't mind you asking! Well the ones I know had English as a first language, but applied to French just to get to the interview easier. However, once at the interview stage you really need to have clear ideas and communication between you and the interviewer is key at that point. Some of them I'm sure would've got in if they chose the English stream instead. Generally speaking, the English stream is a bit riskier since you have more competition, but you should still do it in the langage you're more comfortable with, especially with your stats.

Archived