Premed 101 Forums

IP vs. OOP Stats?

Has anyone been able to find any stats for U of C in terms of GPA for IP vs. OOP? I can’t seem to find it on the website as they combine all their stats. Trying to decide if I’m competitive as an IP applicant if I move there (GPA ~3.6 if they count my masters + nursing degrees). 

If you've confirmed your GPA calculation, it seems 3.6 is an average GPA. I don't know if you've reviewed this video -- it's pretty informative. Dr. Walker has a slide with 2013 data that showed the % successful applicants with a GPA between 3.5-3.6 at 18.5% and 3.6-3.7 at 27.4%.

The cutoff is 3.20 I believe for in province applicants, vs 3.80 for OOP, so with your GPA it seems the only way you could qualify is via being an in-province applicant. You should definitely check the application manual to confirm though.

As to whether it's worth uprooting and relocating to Alberta solely for a chance at med school, only you can answer that. Dr. Walker gives good advice here when he discusses being realistic about your chances and the average # of times it takes a Canadian applicant to enter medical school.

23 hours ago, hurthouse said:

If you've confirmed your GPA calculation, it seems 3.6 is an average GPA. I don't know if you've reviewed this video -- it's pretty informative. Dr. Walker has a slide with 2013 data that showed the % successful applicants with a GPA between 3.5-3.6 at 18.5% and 3.6-3.7 at 27.4%.

The cutoff is 3.20 I believe for in province applicants, vs 3.80 for OOP, so with your GPA it seems the only way you could qualify is via being an in-province applicant. You should definitely check the application manual to confirm though.

As to whether it's worth uprooting and relocating to Alberta solely for a chance at med school, only you can answer that. Dr. Walker gives good advice here when he discusses being realistic about your chances and the average # of times it takes a Canadian applicant to enter medical school.

I might be wrong but I don't think that 3.6 is an average GPA at U of C. Please feel free to correct me though if I am misunderstanding the situationAccording to the stats from last year, 3.86 is the average GPA for successful applicants, this might include IP and OOP applicants though, not entirely sure (?). 

https://www.ucalgary.ca/mdprogram/prospective-students/reference-statistics/20162017-cycle

Also, at U of A, the average GPA for IP applicants in the previous years ranged from 3.81-3.90 ( with a downwards trend).

https://www.ualberta.ca/medicine/programs/md/applying/entering-statistics

So, I believe your academics might be below average here in Alberta as well. However, U of C and U of A will give you a chance to interview if you have great ECs :).

Best of Luck!!

1 hour ago, Dr. End Poverty said:

I might be wrong but I don't think that 3.6 is an average GPA at U of C. Please feel free to correct me though if I am misunderstanding the situationAccording to the stats from last year, 3.86 is the average GPA for successful applicants, this might include IP and OOP applicants though, not entirely sure (?). 

https://www.ucalgary.ca/mdprogram/prospective-students/reference-statistics/20162017-cycle

Also, at U of A, the average GPA for IP applicants in the previous years ranged from 3.81-3.90 ( with a downwards trend).

https://www.ualberta.ca/medicine/programs/md/applying/entering-statistics

So, I believe your academics might be below average here in Alberta as well. However, U of C and U of A will give you a chance to interview if you have great ECs :).

Best of Luck!!

You're absolutely correct. I misused the word "average" in trying to say that 3.6 was a GPA that a decent chunk of successful applicants had in 2013, but it's for sure below the mean GPA.

Those recent stats are also pretty sobering as they show that things have gotten significantly more competitive GPA-wise since 2013.

Nonetheless, if OP is dead set on medicine, then moving to AB for two years would qualify their application for file review at the very least.

On 5/2/2018 at 10:16 PM, Dr. End Poverty said:

Fingers crossed for that downward trend :P 

On 5/2/2018 at 10:16 PM, Dr. End Poverty said:

I think I have fairly strong ECs, especially during undergrad - main reason I got bad grades :(  - so hopefully that will make me competitive! Also I heard U of C doesn’t weigh GPA as heavily as most schools (20%?) so hopefully that will help as well. 

22 hours ago, hurthouse said:

Nonetheless, if OP is dead set on medicine, then moving to AB for two years would qualify their application for file review at the very least.

I am unfortunately quite dead set on medicine :( But will be getting a nursing degree in Calgary as a backup just in case! After that am debating on moving to the Yukon. Looks like I would be competitive as IP for Saskatchewan and would love to get some rural nursing experience.  

On 5/3/2018 at 11:24 PM, danielle1996 said:

Fingers crossed for that downward trend :P 

I think I have fairly strong ECs, especially during undergrad - main reason I got bad grades :(  - so hopefully that will make me competitive! Also I heard U of C doesn’t weigh GPA as heavily as most schools (20%?) so hopefully that will help as well. 

I am unfortunately quite dead set on medicine :( But will be getting a nursing degree in Calgary as a backup just in case! After that am debating on moving to the Yukon. Looks like I would be competitive as IP for Saskatchewan and would love to get some rural nursing experience.  

You would also be considered an IP for BC and MB ( I believe).

Archived