Premed 101 Forums

2nd Iteration chances for IMG

Visitor

Hi, I was wondering how is the 2nd round successful for IMGs, I applied for first round mainly for IM and FM but unfortunately...

I still dont have MCCQE I and I intend to apply for it, but how is it with scoring of IMG, does anyone has idea (I thought i had some good references with previous skills in ICU and even MSc in research from renowned European university). What should I emphasize in my next attempt. And I am not really clear with this second interation, is there any chance at all for matching? Thank you

Hi, I was wondering how is the 2nd round successful for IMGs, I applied for first round mainly for IM and FM but unfortunately...

I still dont have MCCQE I and I intend to apply for it, but how is it with scoring of IMG, does anyone has idea (I thought i had some good references with previous skills in ICU and even MSc in research from renowned European university). What should I emphasize in my next attempt. And I am not really clear with this second interation, is there any chance at all for matching? Thank you

What's your background and MCCEE scores etc? I know for a fact that the Ontario FM programs use filters in the application process to reduce the number of applications. They divide the applicants into two groups, those within 3 years of graduation and those more than 3 years since graduation. If you fall in the former category the MCCEE score is the filter used and if you fall in the latter it is said the NAC OSCE score carries more weightage. According to what the ontario FM programs have listed an average MCCEE score of 426 and NAC OSCE score of 81 is what is required for being shortlisted in Ontario. To the contrary people say many people match with scores lower than that but I can't say for certain because these figures come directly from the programs.

That being said I am in the same boat, having applied only to Urology with no backups I failed to get any interviews in the first round, which was expected and short sighted of me. I think the most important thing for you would be to ace the NAC OSCE if you haven't attempted this exam yet. Itll be compulsory in the 2015 match and is used to screen most applicants. Your MSc and research will only count if you actually get a file review and that will only happen if you meet the cutoffs. Having as many exams as you can will improve your chances of beating the filters. I don't know for sure what impact MCCQE1 has on the application process. I myself have completed all four exams in the past 8 months excluding EE which I gave a year and a half ago.

The second iteration is a toss up. I don't think chances improve, its all a game of chance. If you are interested I have summarized the IMG match rates for the second iteration from last year. It show's that in the second iteration quite a few IMG's tend to match in the second iteration. I think that is because 99% of canadian graduates have already matched and the competitive IMG's have also matched. Ofcourse I am not sure what demographic group the IMG's that match in the second iteration belong to. I will be applying in the second round too.

Anyone else with any insight is free to add to what I have said.

Thank you for info, I was thinking the same about 2nd iteration, maybe there will be some more luck for us. Regarding MCCEE result its 330 so its quite bellow cutoff you mentioned. And I guess additional problem is I graduated almost 10 years ago but I have work experience and finished residency in my previous life :). Maybe I should try to emphasize that more in application, although I'm not sure they look at resume and those stuff, probably they simply apply those filters. Anyway ill txt you private, your post was really helpful. Thank you.

They look at those scores if you're a CMG grad switching via second iteration?

Nopes the above facts only apply to IMG's. I'm sure they look at other things for CMG's that are switching like your ITER's and maybe why you are switching in the first place. I thought the PGME office helps CMG's via the proper transfer program or something of the sort. Maybe a CMG can chime in.

• 2 weeks later...
What's your background and MCCEE scores etc? I know for a fact that the Ontario FM programs use filters in the application process to reduce the number of applications. They divide the applicants into two groups, those within 3 years of graduation and those more than 3 years since graduation. If you fall in the former category the MCCEE score is the filter used and if you fall in the latter it is said the NAC OSCE score carries more weightage. According to what the ontario FM programs have listed an average MCCEE score of 426 and NAC OSCE score of 81 is what is required for being shortlisted in Ontario. To the contrary people say many people match with scores lower than that but I can't say for certain because these figures come directly from the programs.

That being said I am in the same boat, having applied only to Urology with no backups I failed to get any interviews in the first round, which was expected and short sighted of me. I think the most important thing for you would be to ace the NAC OSCE if you haven't attempted this exam yet. Itll be compulsory in the 2015 match and is used to screen most applicants. Your MSc and research will only count if you actually get a file review and that will only happen if you meet the cutoffs. Having as many exams as you can will improve your chances of beating the filters. I don't know for sure what impact MCCQE1 has on the application process. I myself have completed all four exams in the past 8 months excluding EE which I gave a year and a half ago.

The second iteration is a toss up. I don't think chances improve, its all a game of chance. If you are interested I have summarized the IMG match rates for the second iteration from last year. It show's that in the second iteration quite a few IMG's tend to match in the second iteration. I think that is because 99% of canadian graduates have already matched and the competitive IMG's have also matched. Ofcourse I am not sure what demographic group the IMG's that match in the second iteration belong to. I will be applying in the second round too.

Anyone else with any insight is free to add to what I have said.

426 is very high, according to the MCCEE website 371 is 2 standard deviations above the mean meaning 95 percentile. So we are essentially saying that you need to be 3 standard deviations above the mean meaning 99.7 percentile to meet the cutoff?

Not going to lie but i find that hard to believe.

I only stated what I saw in the CaRMS program descriptions for Ontario Family med. Here's a link for the University of Toronto, Family med. Scroll down to the selection criteria and read that. This is common to all programs not just Toronto.

https://phx.e-carms.ca/phoenix-web/pd/main?mitid=1201

That being said, I think people match with lower scores can't say for sure. This is my first match and I don't know very many IMG's.

426 is very high, according to the MCCEE website 371 is 2 standard deviations above the mean meaning 95 percentile. So we are essentially saying that you need to be 3 standard deviations above the mean meaning 99.7 percentile to meet the cutoff?

Not going to lie but i find that hard to believe.

I have a strong feeling the MCCEE exam has a bimodal distribution. The mean score is only slightly above the minimum passing grade. But the average score for interviews is 3 SDs above the mean. I don't want to make any assumptions but I'm guessing the recent grad IMGs are in one 'mode' and the non-recent IMGs are in the other and bring the average down.

do you have to have all your LOR and documents submitted before the first round started?

I don't see any milestones listed on the CaRMS website for 2nd interation that address this.

Do you guys have sample drafts that you have written up or are you going to wait and see what's free and then write your personal statements?

Thanks!

Archived