Premed 101 Forums

How I improved my MMI

**UPDATE**

I've posted the document link in my twitter account. You can download/view a copy there.

----------------------------

Hi premed101,

I've stayed up until 5 AM last night typing out a document for everyone who has been PM-ing me about MMI help. As many of you already know, I went from 4 rejections to 2 acceptances and 2 waitlists (4 same schools). It's around 7 pages long but I sincerely hope it will help those in a similar situation.

I have called lwu018 and sent him the document to edit and I should have it available in 24 hours for everyone to view. This post is to remind everyone that I haven't forgotten about the PMs and that I finally had time to finish it (a draft at the very least).

What I hope this will accomplish: place everyone on equal footing. I find it disturbing that people take advantage of premeds' vulnerability and offer services for money. This information should be free and available to everyone. I wouldn't want finances or other circumstances to put anyone at a disadvantage. This is why I'm very fond of Dr. Ian Walker as his MMI podcast helped me a great deal.

Furthermore, I made a twitter account. Please consider following me: https://twitter.com/trjjnhrs

Whenever I get time, I'll be having call sessions where I'll be helping other premeds with interview prep (free of course). This would be the best way to know when I'll be hosting them. I'll be having other colleagues who are on the interview panel/mmi committee to join and offer feedback.

Thank you premed101 for all the support. It's time I gave back.

A very noble thing to do! I look forward to reading what you've compiled - I'm sure it will be helpful to many :)

For the sake of discussion: It's important to remember that each application cycle is different and you're interviewing with (largely) a different group of people. What complicates things even more is that the actual interviewers change year to year as well. A huge component to gaining admission to a professional program is luck - your interview one year might not have been good enough but could put you through the next year. With all of that being said people should still remember that there is no formula to success on an MMI besides remembering some of the basics of communication skills and staying true to your personality (which isn't the same for a standardized test like the MCAT).

very nice of you to do. thanks on behalf of everyone looking for some advice after being rejected :)

You're very welcome. With your stats, you shouldn't have much difficulty getting in. Don't give up.

A very noble thing to do! I look forward to reading what you've compiled - I'm sure it will be helpful to many :)

For the sake of discussion: It's important to remember that each application cycle is different and you're interviewing with (largely) a different group of people. What complicates things even more is that the actual interviewers change year to year as well. A huge component to gaining admission to a professional program is luck - your interview one year might not have been good enough but could put you through the next year. With all of that being said people should still remember that there is no formula to success on an MMI besides remembering some of the basics of communication skills and staying true to your personality (which isn't the same for a standardized test like the MCAT).

I agree. I've mentioned a disclaimer in the report that this is by no means a guarantee or the answer to an admission, but only a guide I used to help me and my colleagues to be more equipped. Believe you me, I do not think someone who is not suited for medicine can get past admissions with this guide. I also believe that I would not have gained admission if I did not prep as I did the 2nd time.

Wow. Thanks so much for posting this, I am especially thrilled to have all the links to information about Canada's health care system, etc. at my fingertips! Sometimes it's hard to know where to start ("I don't know what I don't know!"), but this has definitely given me a morale boost- the links but also your and lwu018's personal stories. It's nice to hear from people who have experienced rejection before, and so encouraging to see how you came to the realization that it was actually a good thing (that you weren't ready the first time). I've been rejected post interview twice now, and as demoralizing as it is, I recently looked back at what I did in between application cycles (I applied for 2012 and then 2014 entry) and realized that the people I've met and the things I've done in between would never have happened if I'd gotten in the first time around. So I'm looking forward to the next cycle, and seeing what I learn and how I grow as a person until I do one day get accepted.

Thanks for looking out for us premeds and not forgetting about us! :D

Thank you so much, Trojjanhorse and Luke Wu! Having been "bad waitlisted" at UOttawa 2 years ago and rejected post-interview at Mac did damper my spirit. This document is so helpful and thank you so much for taking out the time to write this up!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'll put up an RSVP document online soon. I feel that they can be better coordinated. Some sessions are a bit overwhelming due to the number of people and there isn't enough time to address everyone. Hopefully my colleagues and I can accommodate up to the first 5 members who RSVP. I hope this doesn't come off rude or anything. We simply want this to be productive and useful for everyone.

I'll put up an RSVP document online soon. I feel that they can be better coordinated. Some sessions are a bit overwhelming due to the number of people and there isn't enough time to address everyone. Hopefully my colleagues and I can accommodate up to the first 5 members who RSVP. I hope this doesn't come off rude or anything. We simply want this to be productive and useful for everyone.

Would you consider recording the discussions for others to check out?

• 1 month later...

Archived