Premed 101 Forums

Changes to the curriculum

Guest drfunkmd03

Guest drfunkmd03

K, I read something about this earlier but it wasn't too detailed.

What is going on in first year this year? 25% less class time in all classes? k... understood, moving towards the mac's system.

But can someone go into more detail? ie: how do we have 4 afternoons a week off?

if someone could outline a typical school week for us lowly 1st years in (03/04) that would be awesome. thanks!

Guest Insomniac01

Not sure how much I'll be able to help you on this topic but I'll just tell ya what I know.

Yes there will be a 25% class time reduction for the next year, BUT that does not necessarily mean a 25% reduction in material. Most professors are fairly passionate about what they teach and don't like having to reduce the amount of material they can impart to the students. So, what might happen is that there will just be more handouts given for the students to cover on their own. However, I do believe that there will be atleast some reduction in the amount of material, but I don't think it will reach 25% in the same way as class time will be reduced by atleast 25%.

Also, you alluded that the curriculum might be moving towards McMaster's PBL based system. But I don't think it is moving in that directtion just yet, but rather towards "self-directed learning" as the Phase A chair puts it. What's the difference? In Mac's PBL system the student is responsible for learning all the material they've never even seen before and there are very few formal lectures ( if I'm wrong then maybe someone from Mac can correct me on this) but they have lots of group sessions in which they try to solve clinical case problems using knowledge they acquired on their own. But the plan for U of S next year is a little different. The major difference being that students will be taught most of the information they need to know to solve the problems given (hence alot more class time than Mac, but less than previous years). I don't think you would get 4 afternoons off per week as afternoons will probably be used for self-directed study (and no it doesn't mean go home and do your laundry ...) consisting of group work with tutors. But you still might get 1-2 afternoons off. Of course I don't exactly how things will play out, but from talking to Dr. Hemmings (Phase A chair) the above was the impression that I got.

First-year should be an interesting time for you guys, there are alot of changes on the way and they'll be for the better. My class (2nd year) will also see a reduction in class time, but nowhere near the amount as the first-year. For us, the changes will be minor as we will still adhere closely to the old curriculum.

Guest saskmedman

Damn you're good Insomniac! Nice post!

The way I understand it is every Wednesday afternoon will be professional skills sessions, wher you practise history taking and physical exam skills. I know that is for sure. The other 4 afternoons are scheduled as "Self-directed study." The thing I'm not sure about is how many of these afternoons will have actual small group activities, etc. But you will be in class every day from 8:30 to 12:30. That's all I can add to Insomniac's amazing post.

Rod

Archived