Premed 101 Forums

Army Reserve Experience

Guest hopefulMD

Guest hopefulMD

I was just wondering about a rumor I had heard...is it true at U of S that if you are a member of the military or willing to enter the Medical Officer Training Plan (MOTP) that your minimum admission average into medicine is reduced?

Also, thank you for the insight and shared experience from other posts.

Absolutely not. That is the thing about applying to medicine. There are so many rumors with very little truth to it. We don't even have a family med residency position for Canadian Military here at the UofS. There is no back door to medicine, it involves a lot of work and dedication to get in.

Guest Insomniac01

HopefulMD,

I have never heard anything to that effect and I am sure that if it were true, there would be some kind of information regarding that on the school's website. In case I missed it you should check the website for yourself. Where did you hear this from?

Guest medicator007

Can't speak to U of S in particular, but my understanding is in line with what Insomniac said.

The MOTP programs is merely funding ONCE you have gotten acceptance on your own. It by no means gives you a better chance of getting in as far as i know.

Though if you have a reference on that one i'd love to see it!

Medicator

Guest hopefulMD

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't really think this was true but I kept hearing from people at the UofM that this was the case at all Canadian universities. I guess it's just another one of those rumors....

Seems like there's some confusion between two different programmes - the Medical Officer Training Plan (MOTP) is for people who have already gotten into med school, and are willing to serve four years in the military after a 2-year family medicine residency, in return for a salary during school and residency, tuition and book/supplies coverage, and a signing bonus. Again, this is if you're already in med school. (This is what I"m signed up for as of yesterday!)

The Military Medical Training Plan (MMTP) is for current members of the Canadian Forces who are willing to switch into the medical service from their existing field. Some schools offer some concessions to CF members under this plan (eg different GPA cutoff, different admissions formula, etc) - for more info, you can visit Tips for MMTP applicants via DND intranet, or ask your CO to point you in the right direction.

Guest hopefulMD

Thanks QM6. Maybe this is what everyone keeps talking about. I'll ask the CO when my transfer to 16 Fld Amb goes through. He's a plastic surgeon so I'm sure he'd know. Thanks again!

Archived