Premed 101 Forums

Affordable courses for English requirement

Hey there

I am planning to apply to UBC next cycle, and I need to do 2 courses to satisfy the english requirement. A lot of people have recommended to me the online courses offered by Athabasca University. After checking them out however, it turned out I would need to spend $1400 to get the 2 courses. I was wondering if anyone knew of a more affordable option that I could take? I am in Toronto for the record.

Many thanks in advance!

On 6/17/2018 at 6:56 PM, InternistInTraining said:

Hey there

I am planning to apply to UBC next cycle, and I need to do 2 courses to satisfy the english requirement. A lot of people have recommended to me the online courses offered by Athabasca University. After checking them out however, it turned out I would need to spend $1400 to get the 2 courses. I was wondering if anyone knew of a more affordable option that I could take? I am in Toronto for the record.

Many thanks in advance!

At Ryerson the course is usually around $650 each which is somewhat cheaper. Not sure how online courses would affect the price, if at all. My university charges $800 ish each per course, so more expensive than Athabasca. You might want to try shopping around the universities in your area :) 

16 minutes ago, jul059 said:

You might want to look into Thompson Rivers. If you buy the textbooks yourself used somewhere, you might save a few hundred $. If you do that, be sure to register by calling and not online, so they can deduct the cost of the textbooks.

never mind I just checked the cost and its pretty much the same (650 per course so 1300 in total)

Since Thompson Rivers Online starts any day of the year, here's a trick you can do: simply mention in your application which courses you will take and when. They don't have to be completed. Then, if (and only if!) you get an interview (you will know in the first 2 weeks of December), you enrol and complete the courses before the last day of April (deadline for UBC). No need to pay anything if you don't have at least an interview.

2 hours ago, jul059 said:

You might want to look into Thompson Rivers. If you buy the textbooks yourself used somewhere, you might save a few hundred $. If you do that, be sure to register by calling and not online, so they can deduct the cost of the textbooks.

This.

Archived