Premed 101 Forums

U of S

Guest d

Anybody going to U of S for interview this weekend? If so, where are you staying?? Do you know where I could get some info. on hotels/youth hostels/UofS housing???

Guest Ian Wong

I would recommend checking out the places in the package that should have come with your interview. When I interviewed at U of S in 1999, one place that was mentioned was some sort of a "lodge", perhaps the one that sguy is referring to. I ended up staying there for the night.

It's located on College Drive, opposite the street from the University Hospital and the U of Sask campus (which includes the medical school). It's just across the bridge which connects metropolitan Saskatoon (such as it is), with the campus and medical school. Total cost to there by taxi from the airport was around $20 if I remember correctly.

The night I stayed there, there were another 6-7 out of town applicants there. The lady owner was really friendly (it's a good run of business for her), and a real change from the types of people she usually sees. This lodge makes its living off people from out of town, who are visiting relatives in the hospital, but during interview week, it's packed with other interviewees. I found it a good chance to talk with other people and share knowledge.

Often times, premed people, especially just before interviews, are pretty guarded about volunteering new information. However, I found that if I said something first, and we avoided talking about interview questions and stuff pertinent to that medical school (ie. you talk about the other schools you've applied to), people were generally pretty friendly.

The U of S interviews are also fairly interesting, as there are four people simultaneously interviewing you. One person will be an academic, another is a lay person from the community, and another is a medical student. The last person is a toss-up.

The interviews are extremely short and they are rigorously timed (someone will knock on your door when five minutes are left, and will knock again once time is up. That's it). I believe the time allotted was 40 minutes, but I could be wrong. Certainly it was no longer than 45 minutes. Therefore, you need to really be careful when answering questions, as you want to get as many of your good qualities out in good detail without running out of time. I think I got one question from each interviewer, for a total of four questions, so I'm not really sure what you'll want to do with that.

Good luck!

Ian

UBC, MS2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived