Premed 101 Forums

*** The Saskatchewan Forum Quiz ***

Guest saskmedman

Guest saskmedman

Allright,

In order to increase our declining post rate, I would like to introduce to everyone the Amazing Saskatchewan Forum Quiz! Ok, I know that's corny but hey, it's the best I can do. So how I propose this thing works is I will ask the first question, then everyone, including moderators, may post an answer. Whoever posts the right answer first will become the new quiz master and will then have the responsibility of posting the next zany question and letting us know when someone has gotten the right answer and so on... You regular listeners of John Gormley will know where I got this idea. Ok, so let's get down to it. Here is the first question. I tried to find something that isn't easily found in a google search, but I think someone will probably be able to find it. Oh, one more rule. No posting 100 guesses to cover all the possibilities. I think one guess at a time should be good. Then as soon as the quiz master posts a message saying you were wrong you may guess again. If more than one person get it right, the person who posted first will win. Ok, enough rambling, here's the first question:

Which country spends the most money on ketchup (tomato sauce) each year per capita?

Good luck everyone. Tell your friends!

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest PARTY cal

Do you have to be a SASK-med incoming/waitlister/hopeful or moderator to play???

Now I have something to do at work.

Guest saskmedman

Way to go Party Cal! The correct answer was Sweden. This means that Party Cal is our new QUIZ MASTER and must post the next question, and the race will be on to be the first one with the right answer. Thank you to everyone else who guessed at my question. I think this quiz thing just might take off. In response to an earlier question, ANYONE can play this quiz. Tell your friends! Whatever it takes to get more posts!:P Ok, Party Cal, post your question as soon as you can. We're all looking forward to it!

Rod

Guest PARTY cal

Thanks saskmedman.

I thought I would try a riddle on you folks, hopefully not too many of you know this one.

What is greater than God? Worse than the devil? The rich want it, the poor have it, and if you eat it you will die....

Good luck.

Hmm--kind of a non-sequitor but while you're waiting for summervirus to post the latest quiz question, go to google, type in "weapons of mass destruction" and press the "I'm feeling lucky" button...hilarious.

Guest summervirus

I heard PARTY cal's riddle before... so no website link.

Anyway, here's the new question. Hong Kong was given back to China in 1997. Who or what has replaced Queen Elizabeth II on the 'head' side of the coins in Hong Kong? :)

Good luck!

Guest summervirus

Yup, you're right! Wow, that was fast! Your turn.

The bauhinia flower is the symbol of Hong Kong for those of you that didn't know. :)

Guest saskmedman

I just want to say how excited I am at the popularity of this thread. Thanks a lot guys and lets keep those questions rolling. Keep track of how many times you've been quizmaster and later on we'll see who is the true trivia master!

Guest Lactic Folly

Yep, I learned something new :)

www.info.gov.hk/hkma/eng/.../index.htm

Here's a puzzle.. not a quiz question per se, but I like this one.

You and some other people are stuck in a room for several hours. A metal pipe is firmly encased in the concrete floor vertically. It is about one inch in diameter, six inches high. At the bottom of the pipe is a ping-pong ball - it's not stuck in the pipe but it is a pretty close fit. How can you remove the ping-pong ball without damaging the pipe, the concrete, or the ball? In the room you have some string, plastic wrap, matches, a pen, a watch, marbles, a screwdriver, and a tin can.

Guest PARTY cal

Very interesting...I will take a stab at it

Tie a slip knot on the end of the string, pass it down the pipe, once it is wrapped around the ping-pong ball, pull it out.

Guest Lactic Folly

Good idea.. however it would be very difficult to get the loop around the ball as it fits just within the pipe.

Hint: the materials I mentioned could have just as easily been any other tools/supplies - they're not essential to the solution :)

Guest bearman14

I'm going to guess that it has something to do with the volume of air above the ball. Unfortunately, i do not know what volume of air the burning match would consume, but I will guess that you use the plastic wrap to seal the pipe. Use the screwdriver to puncture a hole in the tin can the size of the pen. Then take the ink out of the pen and insert one end of the now-empty pen shell into the hole in the can, and one end through the plastic wrap that is covering the pipe. Then light the match, put it in the tin can, and the buring will create a vacuum in the can, thereby drawing air from the pipe into the can via the pen. Since the ball is pretty much right against the sides of the pipe, the drawing of air up from the pipe will pull the ball up with it (I guess in saying that, I'm assuming that there is some form of bleed into the pipe from the bottom -- we'll say that concrete is porous). Once the ball reaches the bottom of the pen, the vacuum will keep it attached -- then remove the pen/can/ball assembly, and voila -- free ping pong ball.

Just a guess -- probably too many assumptions, but it could work...

Guest PARTY cal

Nice one Bearman.

I have another idea, but it is sort of gross...

Since you are in the room with a group of people...everyone should urinate into the pipe, which will cause the ball to float to the top:rollin .

Archived