Premed 101 Forums

*** The Saskatchewan Forum Quiz ***

Guest saskmedman

Guest 8York

Congratulations, Jerika81. 2519 is not the answer that I have, but of course it works too. How did you solve it? (math formula/technique?)

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jerika81

I just got out a calculator and piece of paper and started trying numbers. A pattern started developing pretty quick so it only took about 10 mins. The tricky part is trying to figure out how to get the remainders when you divide the numbers, as the calculator will just give you a decimal...

Guest Jerika81

Hey Saskmedman,

Did you notice that this is now the 4th hottest discussion?

Only 50 posts away from the hottest discussion...

Guest bearman14

Hey,

Nope, sorry -- Jerika81 was not correct on the heart question. Finally, a question that has lasted more than a couple hours... :smokin

Guest saskmedman

Where do I find out the hottest discussions? That's amazing, this has surpassed even my wildest dreams.

Bearman, I'm looking forward to see the answer and the rationale behind it for your heart question. Might have to start a new thread to argue that one! Just joking.:P

Rod

Guest saskmedman

I just found the hottest discussions and this one is actually #2!!!! Let's keep her rollin' guys! We can get #1 and never let go of it. Try and bring more people into this as well. I advertised in the moderators forum but it doesn't look like many people have been in there lately.

Guest dfenst

I am just coming here for the first time and can't go thru 6 pages of posts...is there a system for knowing who's turn it is, because it seems like there are a few questions going at once. Can you just post a question, or is it still the winner of the previous question who gets to ask?

Thanks,

Dan

PS: Great idea!

Guest saskmedman

The first post says it all, but it sounds like you pretty much got the idea. Who ever answers the current question correctly gets to ask the next question. We've had people ask questions when they were not the "quizmaster" but it really doesn't matter. If too many people were firing questions at once it would just be chaotic. I believe bearman is the current quizmaster with his heart question. Bearman, I think if no one gets the answer by Wednesday at noonish you should post the answer and go ahead with another question. I'm dying to know the answer.

Rod

Guest UTMed07

Does this have something to do with fitnessage... or the number of beats the average person's heart makes?

The 'on average' part suggests it is population thingy...

Are there prizes for the most original answer?

I was thinking theory of special relativity... if a person flies a lot they will be a few fractions of a second younger relative to the ground 'cause of something called time dilation. Since a sizable portion of people fly the average age of 50 year olds along with their heart (relative to the ground --where we keep our atomic clocks and measure time) will be slightly younger than 50. :P

Guest bearman14

Ha ha! UTMed07 -- that's a great answer, though I'm still going to have to say that it is not correct. Definitely bonus points for "thinking outside the box"!

I'll give a slight hint: The myocardium, contrary to what was initially believed, is actually incredibly plastic. Therefore, the heart itself (for arguments sake, let's exclude the connective tissue and pericardium) is being turned over at a surprisingly fast rate. The challenge now is to figure out what that rate is... :eek

Guest Never2Late

OK... here's my guestimate.

Assuming that the 50 yr old man lives a healthy lifestyle by eating properly, performing in regular cardiovascular exercise, and avoiding such things as smoking - I would think that his heart would be closer to the age of 36.

Just thought I'd have a stab at the question!

Guest CaesarCornelius

After a bit of searching I still haven't come to a stong conclusion, but one paper I read said that if the myocytes were not dividing then there would be no heart left by early adulthood (18??).

So a new heart every ~20 years. So a fifty year old man would have regenerated 2.5 times.. So the heart would be 10 years old??

CC

Guest bearman14

Never2Late & CaesarCornelius -- Getting closer, but still off.

3 hours til the answer is posted. Could it be -- could this question have stumped the collective genious of the Premed forum?!?!

Guest CaesarCornelius

Im not sure what clock you're using and therefore cannot be certain as to when the "question that stumped them all" will be posted.

Perhaps in 30 mins??

CC

p.s. We are only a few posts away from being number 1.

Guest bearman14

Well, it's not quite noon, but to keep the pace of the quiz forum flowing, I'll throw in the towel. The correct answer was:

10 days old

Interestingly, the myocardial tissue regenerates every 10 days or so. Basically, you have a new heart every week and a half. Unfortunately, or coincidentally, depending on how you view it, I cannot find the reference for it right now (I'm in the middle of a big move, so everything is in boxes), but it was one of the fascinating facts learned in a cardiovascular/muscle phys grad course with Dr. Ter Keurs (do a pubmed search on his name if you want to verify his authority :P )

So, I'll toss out an easy one:

Who was the first person to summit all fourteen 8000m peaks?

Guest bearman14

Nice work, CC. The torch passes to you (once again)...

Bearman

ps) Ed Viesturs is an amazing climber, and his level of heroics during the '96 season on Everest was amazing, but I very nearly lost all respect for him when I made the mistake of renting "Vertical Limit" and sitting through that schmaltzy Hollywood poo...

Guest CaesarCornelius

Which writer (USA,famous) was born when Halley's comet was visible and predicted that he would die when it returned again. He was right by the way.

He said "I came in with Halley's Comet in 1835. It is coming again next year, and I expect to go out with it.... The Almighty has said, no doubt: 'Now here are these two unaccountable freaks; they came in together, they must go out together.'"

CC

Guest saskmedman

I believe it was Samuel Langhorn Clemens, otherwise known as Mark Twain. I have no reference for this, just one of those trivial tid-bits I think I know. I'll wait for confirmation before I post a question.

Guest CaesarCornelius

:lol :lol :lol :lol HURRAH FOR SASKMEDMAN!:lol :lol :lol :lol

The creator is now wearing the hat (or is it a torch?)

CC

Guest saskmedman

Ok gang, here's my second question. It's a toughy, hopefully it will make people repeatedly guess and get those posts up even more! Only 57 behind McGill now. Anyway, here's my question:

North Dakota is the only american state never to have had one of these. What is it?

God luck!

Rod

Guest saskmedman

sorry bearman, that's not it. But you may try again now that I have told you you are wrong (see my first post for unofficial rules) lol

Archived