Premed 101 Forums

*** The Saskatchewan Forum Quiz ***

Guest saskmedman

Guest Jerika81

I'm going out of town so I can't play for the weekend.

Peachy I sent my riddle to your inbox before you posted, and I don't want to type it out again :D , so I'll let you post it.

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest peachy

Jerika's question: :)

A man walks down a long tunnel. At the end of the tunnel are two doors, with a guard in front of each. One door leads to Heaven, the other to Hell. One of the guards always lies, the other always tells the truth. The man wants to go through the Heaven door, but he doesn't know which one that is. He knows one guard always lies and the other always tells the truth, but he doesn't know which one is the liar, and he also doesn't know if the liar is standing in front of the Heaven door or the Hell door.

He is allowed to ask one of the guards a single question. What question should he ask to find out which door leads to Heaven?

Guest Lactic Folly

If I asked the other guard if this door leads to Heaven or Hell, what would they say?

Say that you are in front of Hell. If the guard is a liar, he will say the truth teller will tell you this is Heaven. If the guard is a truth teller, he will also tell you that the liar will say this is Heaven instead.

Guest bearman14

I'm going with Ronald and Nancy Reagan. Ron with Alzheimers, and didn't Nancy Reagan battle major depression, or an eating disorder?

Guest Lactic Folly

monkey: too many pronouns in that last sentence, I know! In the latter situation, the liar is in front of Heaven and you and the truth teller are in front of Hell. So you ask the truth teller what the liar would say this door is; the liar would lie to you that the door is actually Heaven, and the truth teller should tell you this.

About the presidents question: I got it off a trivia site (trying to find something less googlable) so I don't know if there is more than one right answer. The couple I had in mind go farther back in history, and aren't too obscure..

Guest kernelhoover

Abraham Lincoln suffered from depression throughout his life. After his assasination is wife Mary Ann Todd went insane and was institutionalized.....

Guest kernelhoover

Looks like my picture won't show up.

Have to go with a trivia question.

What is the world's largest single drop waterfall?

Guest 8York

Saskmedman, I've won earlier when I gave the answers to 2 different questions (Stable & Coffin), but lost my turn. If Bearman doesn't come up with his question, should I?

Guest saskmedman

Go ahead and post yours then 8york. This is all for fun anyway. Bearman can still post his, and whoever gets his right should be the next quizmaster. I also want to thank everyone who has participated so far. We are now less than 100 posts away from McGill. Keep it up gang!

Guest bearman14

Oh, I'll come up with a question -- I just need confirmation that I was right ;)

Also, maybe we should make an "honour" rule that is no googling allowed. I basically just copied the question and pasted it into a search -- not a lot of intellectual skill there :\ Just a thought...

Bearman

Guest bearman14

Geez -- maybe I should stop playing! I don't know if I want Saskatchewan to overtake my beloved McGill :P

Anyhoo, here's my question:

How old (on average) is the heart of a 50 year old man?

Bearman

ps) This is not a tricky or clever question -- just looking for chronological age of the heart.

Guest 8York

Ok, thanks.

What number (#) divided by 10 will give you a remainder of 9? The same # divided by 9 will have remainder 8; the same # divided by 8 will have remainder 7; and then 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 & 1 ?

Guest saskmedman

Interesting question bearman. I'm not quite sure what you're getting at but I'll give it a shot. I'm only a 3rd year med (lol) so my knowledge of cardiac physiology is somewhat limited. I do believe though, that cardiac smooth muscle, just as neural tissue, is by and large incapable of regeneration, so the heart tissue itself would be as old as the organ itself. Since the first detectable heart beats in fetal life occur at around 8 weeks gestation, assuming an ideal preganancy which goes exctly 40 weeks, I will say the heart of a 50 year old man on the day of his 50th birthday is 50 years and 32 weeks old. This may all sound stupid, but hey, I had to try.

Guest Jerika81

This took a little while, but I get

for the answer to 8Yorks.

Have no idea about the heart one. I just figure a 50 year-olds heart is 50 years old...

Archived