Premed 101 Forums

Minimum score

Guest bm99

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows what the minimum total score (0.76x + interview) was to be admitted last year. I have heard that people with around 87 and 19 got in so I am guessing the minimum would be around 85?

Guest ctscan

I'd say that's pretty accurate. I know of people with 88s and 87s who got 18 on their interviews, but didn't get in last year. They were pretty close though.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ctscan

edited: actually, I'm curious....do any of the mods or anyone happen to know the average academic score for those accepted is? Or is that confidential (shouldn't be)?

I mean, the most obvious thing to do, of course, would be to take the average mark and average interview score of previous years and plug it into the formula: 0.76x + interview score, but I wonder if that's really a reasonable estimate.

Guest kosmo14

You can assume it may be slightly higher than last year as there were many more applicants, and a high percentage passed thier interviews this year. I wouldn't think it is going to be significantly higher as averages remain fairly static over the years even in the pre-mcat years where there was significantly more applicants the average for those admitted was much different than the recent few years.

This is about as much as I should divulge.

Good luck.

Guest bm99

Actually, from what I understand, more people failed the interview this year than last year, and that's even when considering that the pass mark was moved down to 15. I think this may also be a signal that the average interview score may be down from last year.

Guest ctscan

well, with more applicants you would expect more failures (of course the fact that the minimum passing mark was lowered affects how you compare this year's numbers to previous years). Intuitively, I would presume that there are more people who have "sufficient scores" to remain in competition now.

Guest bm99

Thanks Kosmo. That's about in line with what I have been hearing. But isn't a 25% failure rate high? Imagine if they would have left the pass mark at 16. The average scores must have been lower this year???? I'm guessing that we might have lower interview scores. If you consider a lower interview score but a higher number of applicants, It's hard to say how the minimum total score might change. You mentioned that you think it may go up slightly...what do you consider slightly??? Im thinking I'll be ok, as long as it doesn't go up by more than a point or so. But other people have been telling me that they expect it to go down, just because of the lower interview marks. Also, I don't really know how lowering the pass mark will effect the minimum acceptance score other than the fact it may be a signal for lower interview marks in general. I was looking at the 7 year stats and the only other time the pass mark was 15, the average score for those accepted was 19. When you think about it, having a 15 only really helps you if you have about a 93+ average and its hard to say how many fit that description.

Guest RageoftheDragon

You are correct BM99, having that lower interview score acceptance only favors those who have high marks. This is ludicrous, as medicine needs to avoid the types who study way too much and have no outside contact with the world/no social skills. Dropping the min interview score to 15 just helps those types put on a fake face for 45 minutes to get into med. It's bullsh*t. You definitely will know these types in your class after about 2 days. I would not want them as my docs, and I can only hope that they go into pathology.

For those of you who did well on your interview and can perform in the whole patient contact realm, but get boned by this new drop in min score, my sympathy goes out to you.

UofS...again, setting the record for stellar administration!

-RotD

Guest kosmo14

how can you tell rotd is in the midst of finals. It is precisely the time when your classmates get on your nerves. Good luck. The actual pass rate is 88%

Guest ctscan

wow, i would hope that it's due to finals because I heavily disagree with those comments. Although I'm sure he/she didn't intend for it, but to make such a general statement which categorizes everyone like that doesn't show a huge amount of maturity, particularly someone who is in medicine. Please don't think I'm judging you purely on that one post, I'm not, I'm sure you're a great person and very much qualified, but what you've said can't be further from the truth.

Guest kosmo14

I know ROTD, and he is a great person. Smart, caring and a great friend. I think he was just stating that there are some that see school as thier entire life and with that lack any sense of reality. There are some that bury themselves in school and ignore those around them, even so much as to be sneaky and underhanded if they can get an edge. There aren't that many that I have met in medicine, for the most part everyone is pretty well balance, but there is always a couple in each class.

Archived