Premed 101 Forums

some advice needed

PAAT

Hello everyone,

This is my first time using this forum and I have a few questions. I apologize for a lengthy message.  I am going to my 4th year and I am writing mcat for the first time in Sept. I will graduate next summer in Aug. 

firt year GPA (full course load): 3.98

second year (full course load): 4.0

third year (21 credits): 3.98

EC:

NSERC award and summer reaserch

currently working on a one-year independent research study

member of dean's honour roll

member of preseidential's honour roll

life guard for 2 years

shadowing a physician 

Volunteer in a fund raising event for earth quake survivals

Volunteer in student election 

volunteer in Best Buddy program in which we went to schools with mentally disabled studenst and engaged them in physical and communicating activities. 

Questions:

1. I am planning to apply to both Canadian and American medical schools this cycle, but Ive heard that US has rolling addmission. I am writing mcat in Sept and the results will come out in Oct. Can I still apply for US without mcat scores or they dont look at my application untill they recieve the scores? My initial plan was to focus on mcat and after that focus on application process. Do you know any medical schools without rolling policy? 

2. Currently i am using Kaplan to prepare for the mcat and I score very low (499 was my best), especifically CARS is killing me (122 was the max, english is my second language). My target schools in Canada are UofT, McMaster ( I know I have to work on CASPER to compensate for CARS) and Queens. Since I am not graduating this April, I cannot apply for  Wester, Mcgill and northern ontario. Are there any medical schools that I have any chances?  I live in Toronto. 

3. I have heard kaplan has the worst ranking scales, is it possible to get 125 in CARS on actual test?

4. Do you think it is a good idea to apply this cycle (at least I would become familiar with the application process) or I should wait a year and work on my EC and mcat?

Thanks

Your GPA is stellar and does not need the benefit of weighting (which you may have lost at some schools due to 3rd year course-load). 

MCAT is now critical -  You are writing it so late in the year you will not know your result before you need to start applying.  Study and practice really hard until you can get consistent practice results.   Also broaden to get more help right now as your existing practice results are too low to be successful anywhere.

You should still be eligible for all Ontario Schools including Western (as far as degree goes).  Each school has specific focus on admissions so NOSM would be out of you are a city kid.   Look at Ottawa which does not use MCAT currently and is heavy GPA.

Definitely apply now, as doing Application is an acquired skill and y0u will benefit regardless of whether you are granted any interviews. Next year, MCAT not relevant for McGill. Re Volunteering, Best Buddy program should continue, if possible, you want longevity wherever possible. Important to be active citizen involved in your community as applicant.

Archived