Premed 101 Forums

Equipment costs, student loans, and bursaries

Guest dddd

Guest dddd

I see on the Sask website that there is 3250$ for equipment for first year, and I've seen similar numbers for other schools. Is this what you really spend, or does that include a computer purchase or something? It just seems like a lot.

Also, does anyone know approximately what the average med student can get for student loans and scholarships/bursaries in Sask? In BC, we get about 10,000$ for a school year, between federal and provincial student loans. Is Sask similar?

Admissions told me there are about 30 scholarships/bursaries for med students, but didn't mention how much they were worth,etc.

Thanks for any info.

Guest goku

yeah that's what i saw when i looked at the equpment for first year. actually, you probably do not spend that much. the textbooks are a fair amount which is expected.

but a chunk of the equipment cost would be for stuff like stethoscope, blood pressure cuff, etc. You don't need to necessarily buy all that stuff since most of the hospital and clinics will have ophthalmoscopes, bp cuffs. The only one you have to really buy is a sthetoscope. Having said that, it really depends on what you want to have to practice at home. At least we don't have to be a microscope anymore!

ha, to answer your question, you will likely not spend that much for equipment in first year unless you buy all the high end expensive medical equipment :)

i don't know much about gov't student loans in sask. I just know the BC one which is about 10, 000 which you mentioned. maybe someone else can answer this.

and for scholarships and bursaries for UofS. you should check out this site: www.students.usask.ca/mon...olarships/

you'll be able to search for what's available. the deadline might be over though.

hope this helps

Archived