Premed 101 Forums

How is UofS doing?

Guest Spicy Aam

Guest Spicy Aam

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering how the status of U of S medical school is, a year into their probationary period? I think that the probation was a good thing for U of S, as it brought to light some shortcomings, made the provincial gov't more aware and willing to help, and has created a more proactive attitude throughout Sask. Have there been marked improvements? Any info would be great! Thanks,

Spicy

Guest kosmo14

We just had a visit by a few members of the accreditation team. They have to report back to the committee and then the decision to take us off of probation will be made by the committee. We likely won't hear until late June early July. It appears as though they were very happy with the changes that were made and the funding increases from the province, but only time will tell whether that is good enough yet. I am cautiously optimistic. As far as any gov't being proactive that is very unlikely. Did the gov't of Sask. learn thier lesson? I doubt it, politicians are just not smart enough. Just look at what is happening with CaRMS this year, and gov'ts were warned at the beginning of the year that there would not be enough residency spots for all of the graduating med students applying to CaRMS this year. Did any of them react appropriately? Not a chance, it just wouldn't be government politics if you weren't reacting rather than being proactive. I digress.

I enjoy the UofS. It wasn't really apparent to me as a student that there were problems (other than that room they call the library) as I think we get a great education and some fantastic clinical teaching in very small groups.

Archived