Premed 101 Forums

parking at the school

Guest goku

hello

I was wondering how the parking is at the school. do you have to have a permit to park or is there also pay parking for the day (how much)? i heard that parking can be a pain. debating whether I should just take the bus

thanks

Guest kosmo14

One word for parking at the U of S "Sucks". You can pay in the pay lots but daily amounts are expensive (daily amount in the two daily max. parking lots is about $7 per day, but are fairly long walks), and some don't even have limits. Meter parking is usually just one hour so no chance of not getting a ticket unless you are very quick between classes or lucky. They are very quick to ticket, and prosecute in court if you don't pay (I learned the hard way, even had a bench warrant- ouch). At the beginning of the year they have a phone lottery for the few student parking lots each year. You have to phone in on a certain date usually after 10:00 pm until you get through, for some this takes many hours for others it may only take 20 mins. Once you get through you get to select a parking lot (for the health science building P, E, Z lots are all about the same distance- 10 min walk (awfully damn cold when its -45)). The only one of those three lots that are electrified is the P lot. I think the cost is around $180 for non electrified lot and about $220 for electrified. You can also look around on the bulletin boards around campus, sometimes people with houses around the University offer parking spots in thier driveway/yard, they are usually around $30/mos.

The bus on the other hand is great depending where you choose to live. Most buses stop at Place Reil about a 30 second walk from the health science building.

Guest saskmedman

If you absolutely must drive every day, I would advise just parking your car in the residential area south of campus. You do have to park several blocks back because it's all 2 hour zones for about 4 blocks as you move south from campus, but you're gonna be walking that far from the parking lots anyway. And if you're ever late and need to park close to school, I would suggest parking in the hospital lot. All though theyu have a big sign saying no U of S students are supposed to park there, I think med students should be the exception, and the daily max there is 6$. Or at least it was. But unless you really want to, I wouldn't buy a campus parking spot.

Rod

Guest Insomniac01

To Kosmo or Saskmedman,

Can't med students purchase parking passes for RUH or do you have to be faculty/staff in order to get them? And how much are they per month?

Guest saskmedman

Hey insomniac,

You can buy monthly passes for the visitors lot, you cannot get a staff spot though. Last year the monthly passes were something like $60.00 for the public lot. A lot of money but cheaper than paying every day.

Rod

• 1 month later...

hello

I tried to get a parking spot but I couldn't. the only thing that I was worried about was the "supposed" cold winters (so I hear :) ) what do you guys recommend during the winter. should I just take the bus since I don't have a place to plug in my car. right now, i'm just parked in the residential areas. I would like to know what you guys did if you couldn't get a plug in parking lot.

Not too sure what to say. Winters are cold, and if you leave your car without being plugged in for 8 hours on some days it may not start. Taking the bus may be an option depending where you live. Parking at the U of S sucks. This year even more so because there is one less lot (building a parkade on the Z lot-too bad its for the public and not students).>:

• 2 months later...
Guest physiology

You guys are lucky! I'd kill to pay $220 for parking in a lot with an ELECTRIFIED fence!

I'm at UBC, and the MINIMUM you pay for an indoor lot is $600.00 (and, ALL students have been mandated to pay $160.00 a year for an unlimited bus "U-Pass"- it doesn't matter if you live in a house 2 sec from campus, you still have to buy it, no exceptions.

The health science parkade is $650 I believe.

So if you drive, it costs $600 for indoor parking (applies Sept. to May - summers are extra), + $160 for the bus pass, and then of course gas and maintenance costs for your car.

Anyway, I"m not complaining, I should bus! But it takes too long!

Archived