Premed 101 Forums

first year labs

Guest Penny

Guest Penny

This is kind of a silly question, but I am still curious to know. Is it in first year or second year that we get to dissect the cadavers?

Guest doctorbones

Almost every med school has the anatomy segment right away. That means cadavers immediately. The registration packages come out really soon, and then we will find out for sure. I have lots of undergrad experience with anatomy and was even a T.A. for Anatomy of Vertebrates. Still not looking forward to it though, dogfish shark one thing, people definitely another! But, I guess it is necessary and I will learn to tolerate it. I just hope I don't get sick the very first class!

:x

Guest kosmo14

Registration materials came today and we have Gross Anat Tuesdays 1:30-4:30 and Friday 1:30-4:30.

Well doctorbones if you get sick during the first class I will most likely be right beside you getting sick also.

For those curious and haven't gotten thier registration materials yet here is our schedule for next year:

Monday: 8:30-9:30 History of Med Intdl 202.1

9:30-10:30 Physiology Physio 202.9

10:30-12:00 Biochemistry Bioch 213.8 (blech!)

1:30-4:30 Life Cycle & Humanities Intdl 204.6

Tuesday: 8:30-11:30 Histology & Cell Bio Anat 232.6

11:30-12:30 Biochemistry Bioch 213.8

1:30-4:30 Gross Anat & Embryology Anat 235.9

Wednesday: 8:30-10:30 Physiology Physio 202.9

10:30-11:30 Biochemistry Bioch 213.8

whoohooo rest of the day off

Thursday: 11:30-12:30 Professional Skills Intdl 205.6

1:30-4:30 Professional Skills Intdl 205.6

Friday: 8:30-9:30 Histology & Cell Bio Anat 232.6

9:30-10:30 Physiology Physio 202.9

10:30-12:00 Biochemistry Bioch 213.8

1:30-4:30 Gross Anat & Embryology Anat 235.9

Pretty much looks like Fridays going to hurt, but all in all not too bad (other than Bioch. 4 days per week).

Guest Ian Wong

You'll have to wait and see. Some people who thought they would be disgusted by cadavers have ended up loving anatomy and wanting to do surgery as a result. There's something about anatomy that just grabs some people, and you might very well be one of them... :)

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest Penny

thanks for all the replys guys. I got my registration package in the mail today but I wasn't sure if the lab was included in the gross anatomy class periods. I may just be blind, but when do we take our CPR class?

Guest kosmo14

Not too sure about CPR. I don't see it anywhere. I am pretty positive that the lab is during that 1:30-4:30 time period otherwise it will be a pretty painful class (3 hours of lectures, reminds me of many night classes I just couldn't bring myself to attend).

Guest Penny

ug. Yeah, three hours of sitting in one spot doesn't sound too appealing. You're probably right about it being a lab. I guess I'm not so much worried about dissecting the cadavers as much as the whole needle aspect. There's something about metal piercing skin that makes me see black. If you see a girl totally faint at the sight of a needle.. you'll know it's me :}

Guest princejr13

The registration package was full of all kinds of neat stuff wasn't it? Looks like there will be alot happening the first week of school ... can't wait!! By the way is anyone thinking of going to the Icebowl already?!? I really want to go .... but I STINK. I noticed that there will be a competetive men's hockey team as well as a non-competetive team .... but how bad a player can play on the non-competetive team? Another problem is that aside from skates and hockey sticks i don't have any other equipment. Any suggestions .....

Guest kosmo14

I was kind of interested in the icebowl too. I also stink pretty bad at hockey. I played a few years in elementary school, but never continued. If the non-competitive is for people like us I will probably borrow equipment (some) from my cousin. I think your best bet would be to find someone you know that is a similar size and see if they are willing to lend it out.

BTW- what do they mean by "professional clothing"? In our cost breakdown it lists $1000 for professional clothing. Does that just mean shirt, tie, dress pants. If so are we required to wear this everyday, or can we wear whatever we wore to school before med. $1000 can buy a lot of ties. What about orientation, do we have to wear anything special. Geez, I feel like I am about to go into my first day of high school.

Guest doctorbones

Are you guys all joining the SMS? Sounds like there are a lot of fun things to do. Lots of parties to go to!

Don't worry kosmo14, I have also been curious about the whole clothing thing. For example, just how formal do you suppose the Fall Welcome Banquet thing is? Prom style? I don't imagine we would have to wear anything special orientation day. Also, I wonder how soon we will be in the hospital, scrubs, lab coat and all. I think we have to wear professional clothing for rounds.

And did you guys notice how long our winter and summer breaks are! At least we will have time for a good vacation after all the hard work!

:D

Guest princejr13

I noticed that the christmas holidays will be about 3 weeks long .... that's AWESOME! I am definately going to be travelling in that time ....

Archived