Premed 101 Forums

Does flags disqualify application to all schools?

lefnalex

Hey, so I recently just got my MCAT scores back and CARS was below the UofT cutoff unfortunately. Since the OMSAS application is a whole that is sent to all Ontario schools you apply for, and UofT is likely going to flag my application and reject it for not meeting cutoffs...would my application to Ottawa also be affected? Like wouldn't they see the flag that UofT put on it?

Speaking of red flags I'm also curious about this; throughout the course of my degree I dropped about 5 courses so I have 5 W's on my transcripts (have attended 2 post secondary institutions). Most were dumb electives I didn't care about but a couple were sciences I just didn't really like, and this was before I had my sights on med school. How screwed am I?

51 minutes ago, lefnalex said:

Hey, so I recently just got my MCAT scores back and CARS was below the UofT cutoff unfortunately. Since the OMSAS application is a whole that is sent to all Ontario schools you apply for, and UofT is likely going to flag my application and reject it for not meeting cutoffs...would my application to Ottawa also be affected? Like wouldn't they see the flag that UofT put on it?

Not at all! Ottawa will not even look at your MCAT score.

28 minutes ago, VigoVirgo said:

Speaking of red flags I'm also curious about this; throughout the course of my degree I dropped about 5 courses so I have 5 W's on my transcripts (have attended 2 post secondary institutions). Most were dumb electives I didn't care about but a couple were sciences I just didn't really like, and this was before I had my sights on med school. How screwed am I?

Depends on the school, but this would generally raise eyebrows. Is it explained in your OMSAS app?

Just now, LloydRedStan said:

Depends on the school, but this would generally raise eyebrows. Is it explained in your OMSAS app?

Didn't apply this cycle, but will next. If there is a way I can write an explanation for it then I will, as I do have personal reasons for dropping them but I know it probably looks bad. You think it's enough to be outright rejected? by the time I'm done my degree I would have taken something in the range of 140-150 credits I think so that is 40+ courses collectively. Most of the W's were in my first year but 2 were in my 3rd so I don't know. It's not something that I consistently did every semester or anything.

8 minutes ago, VigoVirgo said:

Didn't apply this cycle, but will next. If there is a way I can write an explanation for it then I will, as I do have personal reasons for dropping them but I know it probably looks bad. You think it's enough to be outright rejected? by the time I'm done my degree I would have taken something in the range of 140-150 credits I think so that is 40+ courses collectively. Most of the W's were in my first year but 2 were in my 3rd so I don't know. It's not something that I consistently did every semester or anything.

There's a section on OMSAS to explain course withdrawals, gaps etc so you will definitely have a chance to explain.

If they were limited to junior years the worst harm I can see is not being eligible for Toronto's wGPA (unless you have valid reasons). I'm only really familiar with Ontario schools, however.

9 minutes ago, LloydRedStan said:

There's a section on OMSAS to explain course withdrawals, gaps etc so you will definitely have a chance to explain.

If they were limited to junior years the worst harm I can see is not being eligible for Toronto's wGPA (unless you have valid reasons). I'm only really familiar with Ontario schools, however.

That's ok. Honestly I think the only school I'll be applying to in Ontario is McMaster. 3.65 GPA OOP but 130 CARS. Hoping for a strong CASPer. And also Calgary but we'll see what happens there.

4 minutes ago, VigoVirgo said:

That's ok. Honestly I think the only school I'll be applying to in Ontario is McMaster. 3.65 GPA OOP but 130 CARS. Hoping for a strong CASPer. And also Calgary but we'll see what happens there.

McMaster doesn't give a flip about academic gaps, although if withdrawals show up on your transcript as 0 or whatever it will count towards your OMSAS GPA

30 minutes ago, LloydRedStan said:

McMaster doesn't give a flip about academic gaps, although if withdrawals show up on your transcript as 0 or whatever it will count towards your OMSAS GPA

Good to hear, in that case I'm fine for Mac. Well not really actually because my GPA sucks but hey maybe my CARS can make up for it lol

3 hours ago, LloydRedStan said:
4 hours ago, lefnalex said:

That's a relief to hear. So being flagged for not meeting a requirement doesn't affect your chances at another school if they do not have that requirement, in this case, the MCAT (+same thresholds).

Archived