Premed 101 Forums

Re:

Guest RXK

Hello Everyone,

i know i should be at work studying for exams but since it's 2 in the morning and i'm already reading some posts, i think i will ask some random questions on the board....

quick question: is 3.77 (adjusted) a competative GPA at UofT? i ask this question since last years average (undergrad) gpa for the admitted class was 3.88. i know that this is only the average and thus there are figures ranging below and above; but, could it still mean that most applicants hovered around the 3.86-3.9 mark?... it's just that the 60% empahsis on grades at UofT seems to be giving me an ulcer.

Thanks

• 10 months later...
Guest Unknown

</username>
		<dateline>1118447160</dateline>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

(This post is missing and can not be restored)</pagetext>

</post>

<post>

<thread>Y</thread>

<threadtitle>Which College is better at St. George campus at U of T?</threadtitle>

<threadviews>0</threadviews>

<threadsticky>0</threadsticky>

<poll></poll>

<username>joonboy</username>

<dateline>1108250700</dateline>

<title>Which College is better at St. George campus at U of T?</title>

<pagetext>Hi, I applied to undergraduate commerce program at U of T St. George campus and they say I have to choose a college. There are seven colleges but i really have no idea which one to choose, and i can't visit them either, i live far west.

Which college is most convenient?(To get to classes fast, good atmosphere and etc..)

Thanks a lot~~:)

Guest theclevername

I am at innis college and i really like it there! It is one of the smaller colleges, so you get to know more people and more of the administration here.

I think one of the main things you should consider, is if you are going to live in residence. All of the college's residences are different, some have full maditory meal plans, some have apartment style with kitchens, some have pay as you eat meal plans. I would recommend looking into each residence.

As for walking distance to classes, there are basically two groups. Victoria and St. Mikes are on the east side of campus. Innis, Woodsworth, New and UC are right on or near St. George St. which is close to the Rotman School of Business. Innis is right beside Rotman. I'm not really sure where commerce students have most classes.

The best thing to do would be to look at each college's website and see which one you think most suits you. Really though, the college does not matter for anything except for paperwork and residence. Hope this helps and feel free to ask anything else!

I go to Trinity. It's just east of Innis and so pretty close to Rotman, which I assume is where commerce students usually hang out. If you're doing residence, it's a mandatory meal plan. Plus the college is quite old, so if that's not your thing, then I suggest somewhere else. However, the atmosphere is great and there are a lot of resources available in terms of academic dons, etc. Unfortunately, you would have to write two essays to get in, which can be troublesome, especially if you're facing a large workload this semester.

Guest joonboy

So the colleges don't really matter if I am not going to live in residence? And I don't have to go to the college if I don't want to, is that right? Or is the library and stuff located inside the colleges, so I can only use the resources of the chosen college?

Thanks!!

Guest cheech10

They do matter. There are a large number of College-specific scholarships and awards, and the amounts differ significantly from College to College. Victoria owns a number of properties on Bloor and uses this money to fund College initiatives and awards, giving them a MUCH greater purse to play with. Don't get me wrong, I had great fun as an undergrad at Trin, but if I had known about this disparity, I would have seriously rethought my choice.

I have to agree with cheech10. Though my undergrad days are long gone, I went to Vic and gladly accepted lots of $ in scholarships. Note that Vic has a separate fund of scholarships from the UofT ones, so yes, there is double dipping!

Guest 4shattered4

UC is horrible for scholarships =( They don't give you more money if you already got stuff from U of T. Does anyone know if you're allowed to switch after 1st year? Not that I don't like UC and all, but money is a factor too esp for poor students lol.

Guest theclevername

Yes, I have heard of people switching out of their college. They switched from New to Innis simply for the residence after first year. However, I heard that it was a pain to switch and they had to write an essay stating why they wanted to switch and stuff.

unless you live in Res, I think your college doesn't really really matter. yes, there are differences in some scholarships and activities (ie-you can sign up for sports with people from your college, or they may have their own social events etc.). New holds some cool events (ie-the only college to offer a mentorship program and pair you up with a professional of your interest... I got a doc as a mentor), they take care of you and keep you up to date, and give out not-so-hard to obtain scholarships as well. But if you're the kind of commuter student who doesn't plan on hanging around too much after school, it doesn't matter.

In my first 2 undergrad yrs, i went to my college a total of 2 times. I had extracurriculars but they weren't affiliated with my college :/

Guest studentz

Vic. The scholarships are great, and the registrar (Susan McDonald) really looks out for the students, which can mean the world when you have a problem with UofT's immense and stubborn central bureaucracy. The intramurals are fun (there's a huge athletic banquet at the end of the year...good food and drink), Vic probably has the best dining hall in the most beautiful part of the campus, and the frosh events (especially the traditional ceremonies) will really make you feel a part of the school. If I had to do it over again I'd choose Vic in a heartbeat.

As JTJ indicated, it can be hard to get involved in college activities if you're a commuter (Vic included), but opportunities are there if you look and like anything else at UofT, you get what you put into it. However, your college affiliation doesn't enable/prevent participation in the hundreds of student groups on campus that aren't based at a particular college.

• 2 months later...
Guest 4shattered4

Sorry to bring up this thread again, but if I switch colleges at the end of first year say to Vic, does anyone know if I'll still be considered for their great scholarships? I heard they make decisions in mid-June. I don't know if that's too late..I would ask them, but then they probably wouldn't let me switch if they think that's my only motive. It's that and other things too, but yeah if anyone knows, I would GREATLY GREATLY appreciate it =)

Guest Sunmoonandstar

I don't know if this is relevant, but I tried to switch to Vic in first year because I didn't want to live in residence at St. Mike's. I was flatly rejected. They told me that I could live in residence at Vic but couldn't officially switch colleges without a pretty convincing reason. They also gave me the run around, big time (like calling about 20 people before they could tell me who was supposed to be dealing with these problems). My advice to you is to go directly to student services at Vic and talk to them in person, they may let you switch if your marks are high enough.

Guest 4shattered4

Thanks Sunmoonandstar! I actually e-mailed the person in charge of switching and he said that all I have to do now is give him my student number and then wait. Oh, so this is all about marks now? I thought you had to explain how much you like their college and student life, etc. Hmm, that should make it easier since it's more objective. I'm not that convincing of a person lol.

Guest studentz

Most of the in-course awards are based on marks, some based on involvement, so if you're officially in, you should be considered. Anyone with an average of 3.5 in each of their first, second, third or fourth group of 5 full courses (regardless of when completed) will receive $1000. No app required (yes, Vic is wonderful). There are many, many more. Go to the registrars office and there will be awards booklets on the left side of the counter near the ROSI computers.

Other reasons for Vic...the new Pratt library is great; it's in arguably the most beautiful area of campus; Burwash Hall (the dining hall) is beautiful and has pretty good food; the quad is quiet; Vic has a great (but crude) frosh cheer; there's a pub on the Vic campus; the commuter lounge has comfy leather couches and chairs; and even though I mentioned it already, the athletic banquet for those who participated in intramurals is amazing. Plus, the registrar, Susan McDonald, can be a lifesaver if you have to confront the dreaded UofT or Arts and Science admin.

Again, if there are any high school kids out there, participate in frosh. It's crucial at a big school like UofT and the traditional ceremonies at Vic are really quite special. When they are done, you won't believe the feeling of belonging to the college.

Archived