Premed 101 Forums

Verifiers asked to describe characteristics 2018-2019

Hi everyone!

I've received word that when verifying personal activities, U of A is asking verifiers to "describe the characteristics in this applicant which you have witnessed that you believe would make them an outstanding physician." I was under the impression that verifiers essentially only had to verify the number of hours you spent in a role (like "did they spend x amount of hours check yes/no") as opposed to having to speak to any personal characteristics of yours. This is why, for instance, I considered it appropriate when necessary to list staff members in HR departments who didn't necessarily work with me very closely, but oversaw scheduling and are therefore the most appropriate to confirm hours. Now, I have verifiers contacting me who are at a loss of what to write with regards to any of my personal characteristics!

Was anyone else kind of blind-sighted by this additional information U of A is asking of verifiers? As far as i know they gave no indication that verifiers would need to be able to speak to your personal characteristics in any sort of detail.

3 hours ago, heyhayhay said:

Hi everyone!

I've received word that when verifying personal activities, U of A is asking verifiers to "describe the characteristics in this applicant which you have witnessed that you believe would make them an outstanding physician." I was under the impression that verifiers essentially only had to verify the number of hours you spent in a role (like "did they spend x amount of hours check yes/no") as opposed to having to speak to any personal characteristics of yours. This is why, for instance, I considered it appropriate when necessary to list staff members in HR departments who didn't necessarily work with me very closely, but oversaw scheduling and are therefore the most appropriate to confirm hours. Now, I have verifiers contacting me who are at a loss of what to write with regards to any of my personal characteristics!

Was anyone else kind of blind-sighted by this additional information U of A is asking of verifiers? As far as i know they gave no indication that verifiers would need to be able to speak to your personal characteristics in any sort of detail.

It's been that way for at least 4 years... I was a verifier as well and had that email that also asked me about the person's quality.

- G 

Indeed got an email from U of A today that was asking for way more details than I thought when the person asked if they could list me as a verifier. I don't know the person at all (the extent of what I know is yes, they did indeed do what they said they did in their application; I was the coordinator of an activity they were involved in) because I've never even met them face to face. Really don't know how to answer their questions...

3 hours ago, Puffwheatsquare said:

Hey,

I was happy to hear the school was contacting my verifiers. Do you guys think this still bodes well for being considered for an interview or do you think everyone has their verifiers contacted?

I know for a fact that everyone has their verifiers contacted. 

Archived